16 March 2017
Submission Deadline: 21 March 2017, 18:00 (local time)
An Agenda for Decentralization – Local Governance in Lebanon
Call for consultancy: Data Analysis of Sectoral Assessment of Municipal Service
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organization registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. In the framework of its Lebanon Project “An Agenda for Decentralization – Local Governance in Lebanon”, DRI is pleased to invite you to apply for the competitive tender for providing data analysis and – based on the analysis – developing a report on municipal service delivery in Lebanon.
Objective of this assignment
DRI is looking for a Lebanese organisation/firm which is familiar with the work of municipalities and municipal federations, has an understanding of the legal framework governing local governance in Lebanon and has a proven track record in data analysis and report writing. You will apply as an organisation/firm and propose names and CVs of experts within your organization/firm who will be responsible for the analysis of different sectors of municipal service delivery and for the report writing.
You will be asked to propose a methodology and an analytical grid that will be applied to the data analysis process. The selected experts may be asked to provide input on the design of the data collection tools (questionnaire, other) prior to the launching of the sectoral assessment. DRI will provide the data set, generated by a survey and (semi-)structured interviews addressing three sectors, namely: solid waste management; security (municipal police, road security, community safety); governance (particularly outreach and transparency). The survey aims to identify discrepancies between law and practise and probe the federations’ perception of their role and performance in different areas of intervention. The survey results will serve as baseline for an evidence-based advocacy campaign on decentralisation and local governance in Lebanon.
In March and April 2017, DRI will gather data from at least 75% of municipal federations in Lebanon on service delivery aspects in the following three sectors: solid waste management; security (municipal police, road security, community safety); governance (particularly outreach and transparency). You will provide the first analysis of this data in May 2017 in form of a Briefing Paper. The results will be presented to elected local leaders and staff of municipal federations during consultation sessions to be held end of May and beginning of June 2017 in which recommendations for an improved service delivery will be jointly developed. The final report, gathering both the assessment results and recommendations should be drafted until end of June to be published in July 2017.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the DRI Country Representative, the winning company will be tasked with the following deliverables:
- Proposed methodology and analytical grid for the analysis of the sectoral assessment data collected;
- Provide input on the design of the sectoral assessment tools (questionnaire, other) upon DRI’s request;
- Analysis of data of at least 36 municipal federations in the three abovementioned sectors synthesized in a Briefing Paper of 10–15 pages (beginning of April–beginning of May);
- More detailed report including data analysis (see above) plus qualitative data (recommendations gathered by DRI during consultation sessions) of 30–40 pages (beginning of June–mid July)
- Experience in conducting surveys and designing survey questionnaires;
- Legal and technical knowledge of local governance and the 3 targeted sectors in the Lebanese context;
- Experience working with municipalities and municipal federations in Lebanon;
- Experience in data analysis and report writing in a concise, think-tank style;
- Proposed experts have at least three years of professional experience in data analysis and report writing;
- Writing samples touching on the targeted sectors;
- Proposed experts have experience in working in think tanks, research centres or academia;
Location and duration
The data analysis has to be provided in Beirut, Lebanon. This assignment will invoice a maximum of 39 working days between April and July 2017.
The proposal must be submitted by 21 March 2017, 18:00 local time (Beirut, Lebanon), via email to (email@example.com).
- Evidence of former experience of your organization/firm in data analysis and report writing;
- References of prior completed projects/deliverables;
- CVs of those experts you propose for data analysis and report writing, indicating which of the three abovementioned sectors they will cover respectively;
- Writing samples of each proposed expert;
- A proposal for the distribution of expert days and expert fees according to the seniority of the experts;
- in one PDF file on company letter head with the name, signature, and stamp of the concerned official.
- The contract will be awarded on best methodology and CVs.
- The successful tenderer will be informed in writing that its tender has been accepted.
The submission for this tender document does not entail any commitment on the part of DRI, either financial or otherwise. DRI may cancel the tender, any time, without assigning any reason.