Call for Translators and Interpreters – Myanmar
Democracy Reporting International is implementing the EU-funded project STEP to Democracy – Support to Electoral Processes and Democracy in Myanmar leading the programme component on civil society and support to CSO partners to develop their advocacy and monitoring capacities in the democratic reforms process. More specifically, this programme component supports domestic observer CSOs on legal framework analysis and electoral reforms advocacy, while also working with CSOs and other stakeholders on key aspects of broader democratic governance.
Objective and Role:
DRI is looking to expand its pool of translators and Interpreters (Myanmar to English and English to Myanmar) to support its work in Myanmar. Specifically, DRI is seeking translators and interpreters who possess knowledge of elections and governance-related issues, and who can support DRI in its training and developing the capacities of Civil Society Organisations (CSOs).
For this Call, DRI is looking to shortlist an additional four translators and interpreters. Each assignment will be awarded based on the availability of translators and on a needs basis.
Location and Duration:
The translators will work from Yangon, with occasional travel to other locations within Myanmar as required. Assignments are scheduled to take place between August 2016 and December 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Translate DRI’s publications, including legal reviews, presentations, newsletters, press releases and briefing papers, into Myanmar language;
- Translate legal documents from Myanmar into English;
- Perform proof-reading and editing of publications, evaluate written translations produced by other team members;
- Follow DRI’s style guide to ensure document quality, clarity and consistency;
- Provide (consecutive or simultaneous, as available) interpretation for participants at events or briefings.
- University degree in languages, social sciences, law or relevant field;
- Previous experience as translator and/or interpreter;
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills;
- Excellent spoken and written Myanmar language;
- Experience working on elections, democratic governance and advocacy is considered an asset;
- Demonstrated understanding of Myanmar’s legal and constitutional framework for democratic institutions is considered an asset.
For interested applicants, please submit your application (cover letter, CV and price quote per word for written translations/daily rate for interpretation) including ‘Call for Translators and Interpreters –Myanmar’ in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org. For translators, please also include a written sample of your translation work from Myanmar to English
The closing date for applications is 9 September 2016.