Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: 1 May 2017
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Director of Programmes (f/m). As DoP, you will be based in DRI’s Berlin headquarters, and will be responsible for the overall management of the Programme Unit and its– currently seven – country offices across three continents. Working closely with the Executive Director, who leads on strategy and content, you will ensure that DRI’s programmes achieve the organisation’s mission statement and respect the funding partners’ aims and procedures. The position may be changed to Deputy Executive Director at a later stage.
Your specific tasks as DoP include:
- Overall management of programmes, in particular ensuring that programmes are well-designed and efficiently implemented, that programme output targets are being achieved, that – upon completion – programmes are closed properly and that the requirements of funding partners are respected throughout the project cycle;
- Manage DRI’s team of country representatives, project managers and support staff;
- Overall management of country offices, including project delivery, human resources, operational, legal and security aspects;
- Regular travel to the countries where DRI has ongoing programmes to ensure their proper implementation and to participate in and contribute to programme activity (conferences, workshops, trainings, fact-finding and relations with funding partners) as well as travel to other countries;
- Fundraising, including outreach and proposal writing in collaboration with other members of the DRI team;
- Contribute to DRI’s long-term strategic development and innovation;
- Further develop DRI’s internal policies and project management tools and processes;
- Contribute to the content of DRI programmes including review DRI’s public and in-house reporting (briefing papers, monthly reports, media pieces, etc.) and by giving trainings and presentations;
- Represent DRI at conferences and give presentations on its work;
- Contribute to regular reporting to DRI’s supervisory board and shareholders.
You will liaise closely with the Director of Finance and Administration to ensure that the requirements of programmes are aligned with other legal and administrative policies and obligations. The DoP reports to the Executive Director. Together with the Director of Finance and Administration, the three positions form DRI’s executive team.
Your profile should include:
- A degree in law, political science, management or related fields;
- At least ten years of senior working experience in management in non-profit or international/regional organisations;
- Significant expertise in the sector of governance and democracy and human rights;
- Significant experience in managing staff;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, often to tight deadlines;
- Excellent English writing skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good IT skills.
- Knowledge of other languages, such as German, French and Arabic;
- Experience leading organisations as executive director or similar.
The salary will be determined based on DRI’s salary grid and the professional experience of the selected candidate.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Moreover, DRI offers you a job with flexible working hours, travel health insurance, vocational training for every employee and working in a multicultural team in the heart of Berlin, where everybody is on first name terms with each other.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Programmes” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 17 March 2017.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.