Position Title: Local Legal Experts – Ukraine
Contract Period: Short-term assignments
Programme Background and Objectives:
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms: constitutional reform, judiciary reform, decentralisation, electoral law reform.
DRI is currently expanding its roster of experts to support the implementation of DRI’s project activities in Ukraine. Selected experts will be included in a roster to be called on for specific assignments in the course of the project.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with DRI’s project teams in Berlin and Kyiv and DRI’s partners in Ukraine to draft briefing papers, memoranda or other publications on political reform topics, in particular constitutional, judicial, decentralisation and electoral reforms;
- Provide expertise to civil society organisations, parliamentarians and government agencies on constitutional, judicial, decentralisation and electoral reforms;
- Provide legal and political analysis on relevant legislation against international obligations and commitments as well as good practices;
- Plan and deliver workshops and trainings on relevant topics.
- Plan and deliver lectures/trainings to students and youth organisations.
- University degree in law, political science or other relevant fields;
- At least three of comparative, practical experience with constitutional and/or judicial and/or decentralisation, electoral and local governance issues, ideally in the field of good practices and international standards of democratisation;
- Knowledge of the democratisation process in the Eastern European countries;
- Fluency in English is a strong asset;
- Proven report-writing and presentation as well as training skills are required.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, CV and examples of writing (links to three recent publications would be sufficient) to email@example.com with “Local Legal Experts – Ukraine” in the subject line.
Deadline for applications: open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.