Position Title: Research and Communications Officer – Lebanon (f/m)
Form of Employment: Part-time (60%)
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: One year
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a part-time Research and Communications Officer (f/m) for its country presence in Lebanon. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Country Representative s/he will have the lead on research and communication related aspects of DRI’s project ‘An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon’. The 12 month project aims at analysing the existing legal framework of decentralisation and advocating for improved implementation thereof at the local and national level. The project will be implemented in close cooperation with local CSOs in the different regions of Lebanon.
The project therefore requires the services of an experienced Research and Communications Officer to lead on all communications and outreach activities of the DRI Lebanon project.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Country Representative, the Research and Communications Officer will be responsible for the research on relevant topics to the project implementation and communication of project activities and outputs to the Lebanese and international audiences, in particular:
- Support the Country Representative in researching topics of relevance to the project implementation, such as political or legal developments in the field of decentralisation;
- Support the Country Representative in research for project publications;
- Develop and maintain media relations (developing media messages, writing press materials, drafting and editing comment pieces, developing and maintaining contacts with Beirut-based and regional journalists);
- Lead on the development of the project communication strategy and tools, including a newsletter and social media;
- Monitor the media coverage of relevant reform debates and provide regular concise reports to the Beirut team and DRI HQ;
- Contribute to the writing and proof-editing of donor reports;
- Proactively contribute to DRI’s social media (Facebook, Twitter) on project-related themes;
- Write, develop and edit media outputs such as press releases, newsletters, op-eds, etc. based on technical publications, in English and Arabic, ideally also in French;
- Develop, maintain and update the distribution lists;
- Contribute to the organisation of the project events, including press conferences and roundtables;
- Support the development of the project’s and consortium’s communication and advocacy strategy;
- Support the development, design and layout of communication and advocacy materials;
- Any other outreach activities, as agreed with the Team Leader and DRI HQ.
- University degree in journalism, public relations, political science, international relations or related field;
- Minimum 2-3 years communications experience (including media relations and social media management);
- Experience working for a think tank, research organisation, or NGO;
- Experience researching, writing, editing, proof-reading and designing communication documents for subsequent distribution;
- Ability to analyse information from different sources and synthesise this information into coherent and brief communication documents;
- Knowledge of local governance, democratisation and decentralisation is a strong asset;
- Advanced IT skills, including Microsoft Office;
- Experience in event organisation and management is an asset;
- Fluent in English, Arabic and French; proven excellent writing and editing skills in English and Arabic are an essential prerequisite, in French an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Research and Communications Officer – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 16 October 2016. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.