Democracy Reporting International (DRI) works in partnership with civil society organisations (CSOs) in Tunisia since the launching of its programme in Tunisia in February 2011. Part of DRI’s programme is to support CSOs active in the democratic transition, focusing on topics related to elections (such as election observation and advocacy for legal reforms) and providing expertise regarding fundamental elements of a democratic system of government.
In the framework of the project “Support to Constitution implementation in Tunisia – Phase II” funded by the German Federal Office, DRI is working on providing support to, inter alia, CSOs which will carry out domestic election observation of the upcoming local elections in Tunisia foreseen to take place in December 2017.
Based on DRI’s previous experience of working with CSO electoral observers as well as the needs identified by the CSOs partners, DRI will organise, among other activities, a training on the preparation of electoral observation reports. The two-day training will be addressed to the CSOs’ teams responsible for collecting the data and drafting the election observation reports. Representatives of approx. ten CSOs will be invited to participate in the training.
The training is scheduled to take place in the early stages of the electoral cycle and will focus on providing skills for the collection, management and analysis of election observation data, as well as the preparation of observation reports (preliminary statement, intermediate and final report).
Objective of the training
The training aims to enhance the role of the domestic observer CSOs in the electoral process by reinforcing their capacities in collecting information on the electoral cycle and preparing public statements and reports for the upcoming municipal elections.
Objectives of the assignment
With the support of DRI’s team based in Tunis, the expert will design and deliver a two-day training to support CSOs working on election observation to achieve the following objectives:
- To develop skills to analyse relevant information on the conduct of the electoral process;
- To reinforce capacities of drafting elections observation reports and delivering public statements including the presentation of accurate and objective information on the conduct of the electoral process with references to international standards and the legal framework related to elections;
As the CSOs will cover all the phases of the electoral cycle of the 2017 local elections, the trainer will provide specific guidance for reporting on each of the phases.
- Agenda of the two-day training;
- Presentations, exercises, case studies prepared for the training;
- A mission report.
- The expert will work in coordination with the DRI Tunisia team. The mission will be held in Tunis.
Duration of the assignment
The training will be held in September 2017. The Consultant will engage in the workshop on the following basis:
- Preparations and reporting – 2 days of home based work;
- Training – 2 days of mission work in Tunis.
Qualifications and competences
- Relevant university degree in law or political sciences;
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience working on electoral legal frameworks and cycles;
- Extensive experience in delivering trainings and workshops on election related topics including preparation of electoral observation reports;
- Proven experience in the implementation of other electoral assistance activities and programs for civil society;
- Experience working in Tunisia on electoral processes;
- Familiarity with the Tunisian context and experience working with civil society;
- Fluency in spoken and written French, knowledge of Arabic will be an asset.
Interested applicants should send their applications (CV and cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘’Senior Election Expert” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 10 August 2017.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunity employer.
The position may be filled before the end of the deadline, so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.