Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: 1 February 2021
Duration: One year, with the possibility of extension
Location: Tripoli, Libya
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide. In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights, and local governance since 2012. We are currently implementing three projects focusing on civil society strengthening and democratic discourse, women’s empowerment, and participatory sub-national governance.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Capacity-Building Specialist for the QUDRA Project of its Libya Office in Tripoli, Libya. In collaboration with QUDRA Project Coordinator, and under the supervision of the QUDRA Project Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing a capacity strengthening process, and planning and implementing capacity-building and mentoring actions with project partners in Libya (and Tunisia, if necessary).
- Manage and implement a tailored capacity building process- which could include initial assessments, developing capacity building plans, implementing capacity strengthening interventions, and mid and final assessments with CSOs, individuals, and potentially Communities of Practice.
- Implement the capacity-building modules and one-on-one mentoring and coaching as agreed upon with the QUDRA Project Manager with the subgrantees, including travel to and work with the Libyan organisations.
- Ensure gender and diversity considerations are taken into account in the design and implementation of capacity-building training modules and coaching and mentoring.
- Ensure Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning is applied throughout the design and implementation of capacity-building modules and one-on-one mentoring, including the documentation of your work with each organisation and of lessons learned.
- Work in close collaboration with the QUDRA Project Coordinator to ensure flow of information on the work with sub-grantees.
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your skills and experience
- At least five years of relevant/progressive professional experience working on projects related to democracy, human rights, and governance programming, civil society strengthening, or organizational capacity building.
- Keen understanding of capacity building approaches and methodologies.
- Proven experience of at least five years of targeted capacity-building and mentoring of Libyan CSOs, governance entities, and/or individuals.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills (written and oral).
- Willingness and capacity to work with a high level of autonomy and travel within Libya if the security situation allows.
- A strong administrative track record.
- In-depth knowledge of the Libya’s civil society landscape and context.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team are expected.
- Proven fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English.
- A Libyan work permit.
What we offer
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, training options, and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your application (cover letter and CV) here. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 31 December 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and treats everybody equally, independent of gender identity, sex, pregnancy, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, political opinion (as long as respectful of democratic principles), or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy: