Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: 1 January 2021
Duration: One year, with the possibility of extension
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide. In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights, and local governance since 2012. We are currently implementing three projects focusing on civil society strengthening and democratic discourse, women’s empowerment, and participatory sub-national governance.
DRI is recruiting a full-time Project Manager for the QUDRA – Catalysing Libyan Potential for Democratic Change Project of its Libya Office in Tunis. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Country Director, you will plan and manage all activities of the QUDRA project in accordance with the requirements of the grant giver and DRI, regularly report to DRI Headquarters on project implementation and effectively coordinate between DRI HQ in Berlin, DRI Libya in Tunis and Tripoli and the grant giver.
The QUADRA project supports Libyan civil society in leading the discourse on and engaging in the country’s democratisation process. To achieve this goal, the project facilitates partnerships between different actors of Libyan civil society (CSOs, activists, media makers, researchers, academics, lawyers) to enable Libyan-owned and Libyan-driven exchanges, joint initiatives and media and knowledge products on how the concept of democracy can look like and come to life in Libya.
- Day-to-day technical and operational project management of the QUDRA project (and potentially other projects) to ensure high quality and timely implementation throughout its project life cycle, in line with project objectives and in strict compliance with the contract and the requirements of the grant giver.
- Creating project work plans and designing technical project interventions.
- Managing the project budget, preparing forecasts, checking financial follow-ups and reports.
- Providing day-to-day management and supervision of QUDRA programme staff.
- Reporting internally on progress to the DRI Libya Country Director and the responsible HQ Programme Coordinator and preparing donor reports.
- Ensuring conflict sensitivity and risk management of all project activities.
- Leading on continuous and effective MEL (Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning) processes throughout the project management cycle.
- Leading and/or contributing to research activities.
- Leading on gender and diversity mainstreaming throughout the project management cycle.
- Representing the QUDRA Project and DRI Libya in meetings with external stakeholders.
- Potential travel to Libya, if the security situation allows.
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in political or social sciences, public administration, development, law or a related field or equivalent number of years of experience.
- At least eight years of relevant/progressive professional experience managing projects in democracy assistance or international development, including at least five related to (local) governance, civil society or related fields, preferably with an international NGO.
- Demonstrated experience managing democracy, human rights and governance projects in fragile and conflict affected states, ideally in the MENA Region.
- Experience in at least one of the following: civil society strengthening, developing partnership networks, research and knowledge production, community engagement, social cohesion, media, democratic discourse, political transitions.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Strong coordination skills and experience in working with local partner organisations, involving sub-granting.
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent excel skills.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Strong presentation and communication skills (written and oral).
- Excellent interpersonal and managerial skills, including proven leadership, staff and financial management and administrative skills.
- Good negotiation skills and the ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team.
- Knowledge of North Africa, and Libya in specific, is an asset.
- Experience of working in conflict-affected environments.
What We Offer:
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, training options, and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your application (cover letter and CV) here. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 29 November 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and treats everybody equally, independent of gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, political opinion (except extremism), or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Elbestr. 28 – 29
12045 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10