Position title: Local governance expert
Position location: Islamabad/Peshawar (with frequent travel within Khyber-Phaktunkhwa province)
Contract Period: February 2017 to February 2018
Start Date: As soon as possible
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit international organization registered in Berlin, Germany, which promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
With possible funding from the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), DRI is expected to launch the one-year project “Improving Local Governance in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan”. The project aims to help bring the implementation of devolution and local elections in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa in line with international good practices and consists of three components: 1) provision of facts-based analysis and research for an improved local governance system in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa; 2) engagement of all stakeholders at the national and provincial level in dialogue with the aim of triggering debate on improving local government elections and the devolution process; and 3) capacity building of civil society to launch an advocacy campaign with the aim to bring the implementation of local elections and devolution in line with international good practices.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Local Governance Expert works under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and Programme Coordinator in Pakistan and takes leadership for implementing and coordinating all activities of the project, including events, trainings, research, and publications. The Local Governance Expert will specifically:
· Draft project planning documents, including a monitoring and evaluation framework and tools as well as the project work plan;
· Serve as technical expert on local governance and local elections and provide advice to interlocutors on reforms related to local governance and elections in Pakistan/ Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa in line with international good practices and DRI recommendations and policy papers on local governance and local elections;
· Take leadership in designing concept notes for research to be undertaken under the project and provide input for training material and other publications such as briefing papers and communication products;
· Coordinate missions of international and national short term experts;
· Support Country Representative / Programme Coordinator in tracking and managing financial expenditures;
· Draft monthly/quarterly progress reports, regular event reports, and updates for the donor;
· Support the Country Representative in establishing and maintaining relationships with key interlocutors such as government representative, parliamentarians, the media, and civil society;
· Provide political analysis of the Pakistani context and support short-term experts and other team members by providing background research for the project.
Qualifications & Experience
· University degree in human rights, law, political science or equivalent;
· 5 + years of professional experience in supporting democracy, elections, and human rights in the Pakistani context; at least 3 years of previous work experience on local governance.
· Experience of working with relevant stakeholders such as policy-makers, political parties, parliamentarians, government representatives and civil society organisations is required;
· 5 + years of professional experience in programme and budget management.
· Sound understanding of and ability to analyse issues relating to local government, elections (including local elections), democratic governance and devolution in Pakistan;
· Proven knowledge of and ability to apply international standards and best practices in elections, democratic governance, and devolution processes;
· Strong writing, presentation, and group facilitation skills;
· English, business fluent oral and written;
· Urdu, fluency oral and written; knowledge of Pashto and other local languages spoken in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa will be a plus.
New deadline! Closing date for applications: (Midnight, CET) 23 February 2017
This is a renewed call for applications. Candidates who previously submitted their applications are asked to refrain from applying again.
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter, CV and three references) to email@example.com with “Local Governance Expert – Pakistan” as the subject heading and supporting documents in the following format: SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_LOCAL GOVERNANCE EXPERT
This is a locally recruited position. DRI offers a competitive salary according to donor regulations and incumbent experience.
Early applications are encouraged as candidates may be invited to an interview before the deadline. Recruitment may close before the deadline if an applicant is found. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DRI reserves the decision to re-advertise the position, cancel the recruitment at any stage, offer appointment at a position lower than the one advertised or offer the position with a modified job description or period of appointment. The award of the contract is contingent on funding for this project.