Election Expert: Advance Voting (Sri Lanka)
Form of Employment: Short-term consultancy
Starting Date: 1 July 2020
Duration: 15 days
Location: home based
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is operating in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has implemented various democratic strengthening projects with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Union, the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). DRI has worked in Sri Lanka on the thematic areas of human rights, constitutions, and democratic discourse with a focus on strengthening civil society in their work towards democratic reforms.
DRI is also working in Sri Lanka on electoral reforms. The recently held presidential, upcoming parliamentary and provincial council elections will be a defining moment for Sri Lanka’s democratic consolidation. A characteristic of any election is the voter turnout which signifies public trust in the electoral system. The lack of a legal framework for Advance Voting at a time when preparations for elections are being made amidst the covid-19 pandemic could result in lower voter participation. Making special provisions through means of advance voting could contribute to voters exercising their constitutional right to vote. In Sri Lanka, as elsewhere, early voting opportunity could increase turnout and expand the electorate to ensure the participation of different segments of society particularly traditionally underrepresented voters, reduce burden on election day poll workers and circumvent issues around geographical mobility, limited timeframe for voting. On the other hand, any alternative voting mechanism has to ensure the same level of secrecy, accountability, transparency and integrity of the vote as voting in person on election day. It is important to look at any reform efforts to introduce a mechanism to provide advance voting during the upcoming elections from an international and national perspective and considering international obligations for democratic elections.
DRI therefore requires the services of an Election Expert: Advance Voting in Sri Lanka.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Director of Programmes in Berlin Head Office, the Election Expert will perform tasks and deliverables which include the following:
- Review existing provisions on advance voting in Sri Lanka;
- Provide input for draft regulation on advance voting in Sri Lanka in line with international standards;
- Hold interviews with relevant stakeholders to inform the research;
- Provide comparative examples / best practice cases for advance voting from other countries;
- Synthesize information to outline needs and shortcomings of advance voting in Sri Lanka against international standards and country examples;
- Provide materials and analysis on advance voting regulations, as required;
- Draft an outline for an analytical paper on advance voting and revise this as per feedback from DRI and partners;
- Collate all findings in an analytical paper according to the agreed outline;
- Provide information for the creation of infographics to illustrate the findings;
- Draft recommendations for Sri Lankan stakeholders to drive the discussion on advance voting forward and improve the legal framework;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your Education and Experience
- University degree in politics, social sciences, law or any other relevant discipline;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in applied research and/or political analysis or international politics, particularly regarding electoral reforms, election observation, and advance voting;
- Demonstrated expertise in analysing advance voting issues, including legislation and regulation for advance voting;
- In-depth understanding of elections and democracy issues in Sri Lanka and internationally;
- Knowledge of international standards for democratic elections, especially related to advance voting;
- Comparative expertise on advance voting regulation internationally;
- Demonstrated experience of writing high quality research reports;
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to conceptualise policy formulation within the subject area;
- Excellent English language skills (spoken and written) is a requirement.
For interested applicants, please send your application (short outline of how you would address this topic, CV and fee rate) to [email protected]. Please include “2020: Election Expert: advance voting – Sri Lanka” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 14 June 2020.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10