Form of Employment: Part-Time (max. 20 hours/week)
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: One year, with the possibility of extension
We are looking for an assistant to support the activities of Democracy Reporting International on several projects related to the role of social media in elections and on democratic discourse. DRI is involved in discussions about how new technologies are affecting democracies and producing studies in different political contexts. The assistant is expected to conduct the following tasks:
- Perform data collection and analysis at an intermediate level.
- Support the design, implementation and analysis of projects looking into how social media is affecting political perceptions with regards to disinformation, hate speech, targeted political ads and other phenomena associated with social media and politics.
- Carry out desk research about existing methodologies to inform our analysis and write short pieces for communication on DRI’s projects and activities.
- Occasional travel to conferences and meetings.
- Currently enrolled in a master’s degree on public policy, political science, statistics or related fields;
- Previous experience in social media research, democracy and election monitoring;
- Good understanding of political communication and data analysis.
- Basic understanding of methodologies of social media monitoring/listening;
- Good writing and research skills.
- Knowledge working with R, Python and other statistical software. Previous experience in collecting data via APIs is an asset, as well as experience with marketing research platforms such as Talkwalker, Buzzsumo and others.
- Fluency in English required. Additional languages will be considered an asset (especially Arabic and French)
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. In case you have any data analysis piece, you may attach it to your application. Please include “Social Media Assistant 2019” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 21 April 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest. DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10