Duration: Short term consultancy
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organization registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of the state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the democratization process through a variety of projects with focus on democratic discourse, women empowerment and local governance. DRI works with its Libyan partners to create a conducive environment for a political process to take place. Towards this end, DRI, in collaboration with its Libyan partners, facilitates avenues to share knowledge and raise awareness both online and offline regarding key political and democratisation related milestones.
In this context, DRI has, in Phase I of its Project entitled “Strengthening Civil Society’s Engagement on the Transition in Libya”, produced a Timeline for Libya’s Transformation; an interactive publication that covers key political, economic and security events from 2011 to 2018. The Timeline is a reader-friendly analysis that aims to document Libya’s milestones.
Within the framework of Phase II of the project, DRI will update the timeline to cover events that took place from January 2019 to February 2020 using the same format and structure. Therefore, DRI Libya is seeking three authors to draft the three sections of the publications: (1) Political Economy, (2) Legitimacy and (3) Power and Violence.
The authors are expected to carry out the following duties and responsibilities
- Develop an outline of the key milestone each in his/her respective area of expertise (by end of April).
- Discuss the outline with DRI Program Manager/Country Director and introduce the necessary changes
- Draft the relevant section/strand based on the approved outline by end of May.
- Upon receiving DRI comments, develop the second draft within two weeks taking into account DRI’s comments.
- Finalize the relevant section/strand within (two weeks) so that the final approved version is available maximum by end of June.
- In all times, uphold the highest degree of neutrality so that the produced text is based on well-researched, balanced and unbiased analysis.
- An advanced degree in political science, law, development or other relevant fields, or a bachelor’s degree combined with published analytical pieces about Libya.
- Five years of experience researching and writing about one of the three strands that the Timeline comprises.
- Proven track-record of published articles and/or research papers on topics pertaining to Libyan politics, economy and security.
- Sound knowledge of international democracy standards.
- The publication will be in English, therefore, fluency in written and spoken English is required, knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV and at least two relevant publications) to email@example.com. Please include “Authors for Libya’s Transformation Timeline” in the subject line and indicate which topic you intend to cover. Let us know how you found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 12 April, 2020. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10