Form of Employment: Short-term consultancy
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Location: Desk work
Update Democracy Reporting International’s visual identity by using a two-page factsheet as a prototype. This update should be evolutionary, not revolutionary.
DRI is an international non-governmental organisation created in 2006 and based in Berlin. Our work rests on two pillars: reporting and analysis, and capacity-building in the field. In addition to our headquarters in Berlin, we have country offices in Lebanon, Libya, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tunisia and Ukraine.
DRI last updated its visual identity in 2010 and wants to make sure that it keeps in line with current standards in web and print design. We want the updated visual identity to reflect our work and values (more on this below).
Due to time and budgetary constraints, this update will be prototyped through a factsheet giving an overview of DRI. This new visual identity might then be implemented across DRI’s activities, depending on the success of the factsheet.
A first draft concept for the update visual identity should be submitted by 2 June 2020. The final concept for the visual identity and the factsheet should be delivered by 19 June 2020.
- Design and layout a factsheet (two sides of an A4 page) on DRI that would include:
- An overview of DRI’s activities and thematic areas (text to be provided by DRI);
- A map providing an overview of DRI’s global presence.
- Propose an updated visual identity for the factsheet, including:
- Edited logo (based on the existing logos used for publications and social media);
- Colours (both primary and secondary);
- Icons for DRI’s thematic areas;
- Icons for DRI’s intervention areas.
All these elements will be compatible for both web and print views.
We are an independent non-governmental organisation that works in Europe, Asia, as well as the Middle East and North Africa. As such, our visual identity should be clear and easy to distinguish.
Given our international and diversified audience, our visual identity should respect its international audience, be culturally sensitive and avoid repeating gender stereotypes. It should adapt well to different languages and alphabets.
Our main audiences are involved in, or with, government: whether at the municipal or national levels. As such, the image we want to project is that of a competent organisation that has authority and expertise.
Our visual identity should reflect these values in a sober, clean and minimalistic way. We are not looking for an identity based on a passing fad, but rather one that will age well.
Evolution of DRI’s visual identity:
DRI’s current visibility guidelines will be shared with the successful bidder to serve as inspiration. The publications below provide a visual indication of the evolution of DRI’s visual identity.
- 2006 Statement: http://democracy-reporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/morocco_pr_en.pdf
- 2006 Briefing Paper: http://democracy-reporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/dri_plc_elections_02_06.pdf
- 2011 Annual Report: http://democracy-reporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/dri_annual_report_2011.pdf
- 2017 Annual Report: https://democracy-reporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Annual-Report-2017_web-version.pdf
- 2018 Annual Report: https://democracy-reporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/DRI_report-2018_05.pdf
- 2020 Guide: https://democracy-reporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Final_IWD-Publication.pdf
- 2020 Briefing Paper: https://democracy-reporting.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/2020-03_BP_VDL_Plans.pdf
Submit a bid:
The deadline for submissions is 21 May 2020. Please send your application to email@example.com along with the following documents:
- A financial estimate (see Annex I), based on the tasks outlined above and taking into account up to two revisions;
- Portfolio, including examples of similar previous work;
- The CVs of anyone who would be working on this project.
The selected bidder will be working under the supervision of DRI’s Communications Coordinator.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel+49 30 27877300
Fax+49 30 27877300-10
Remark: DRI is not bound to accept any offers and may award a contract for all or only parts of the services. DRI reserves the right to cancel the quotation process at any point without any liability.