Assignment: Conduct field research (including the organisation of expert meetings, workshops, interviews etc.) and draft 2 Briefing Papers on the topics of (1) Public Procurement and (2) Financial Management in Local Authorities in Lebanon.
Form of Employment: Research Consultancy
Starting Date: 10 September 2018
Duration: 10 September – 30 November 2018
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its projects “Resilience in Local Governance” (RESLOG) and “Setting an Agenda for Decentralisation in Lebanon – Phase II”, DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote local governance in line with good governance principles.
Concurrently, DRI will be executing an awareness-raising and advocacy campaign for better local governance drawing on a research on municipal service delivery in three sectors: solid waste management; public safety (role of the municipal police); government transparency and citizen participation. Interested candidates are invited to peruse DRI’s publication prior to applying:
- Briefing Paper No. 80: Reforming Decentralisation in Lebanon – The State of Play
- Briefing Paper No. 87: Decentralising Government – What You Need To Know
- Public Services in Lebanese Municipal Unions – National Survey Report
- Briefing Paper No. 93: Local Governance in Lebanon – The Way Forward
Objective of this assignment
We seek two Expert Consultants who are specialised in the topics of Public Private Partnerships (PPP) and Public Procurement and Financial Management in Lebanese Municipalities, with a proven track record in research coordination and report writing. Under the direct supervision of DRI’s team, you will conduct field research (including the organisation of expert meetings, workshops, interviews etc.) and draft one Briefing Paper on each subject. The subjects of the Briefing Papers are:
- Public Private Partnerships (PPP): Assessment of the 2017 PPP Law (state of play, current practices and debates, notable areas of improvement), its implications for local authorities in Lebanon, strategic recommendations to better adapt PPP to the work of local authorities and promote its implementation for public service delivery, also with respect to the 2014 Administrative Decentralisation Bill.
- Public Procurement and Financial Management in Local Authorities: Assessment of the legal framework (state of play, current practices and debates, notable areas of improvement), strategic recommendations to improve procurement and financial management (incl. accounting, budgeting) in local authorities, also with respect to the 2014 Administrative Decentralisation Bill.
You will provide the first drafts in October 2018 and the final Briefing Papers by 30 November 2018.
Your duties and responsibilities
The deliverables include:
- An annotated Table of Contents for the Briefing Paper (based on a Concept Note provided by DRI) that includes a proposed methodology and an analytical framework, and revise it based on DRI’s input;
- Conduct a desk review of existing literature and provide a select bibliography on the studied topic;
- Identify relevant specialists and panel speakers to participate in a series of closed roundtable discussions, expert meetings and interviews on the abovementioned subjects;
- Organise closed roundtable discussions and/or expert meetings and conduct interviews (event costs and logistics are covered by DRI and SKL);
- Draft the Briefing Paper in English (around 6,000 words), including a crisp and highly readable Executive Summary (first draft in October 2018, final draft by 30 November 2018);
- Based on joint discussions with DRI and input provided by project partners and stakeholders, provide strategic recommendations and a road map for reforming the frameworks governing PPP / public procurement and financial management in Lebanese local authorities;
- Attend regular coordination meetings with DRI Lebanon to discuss the research progress;
- Review and proof-read the final manuscript after copy-editing and layout, in the original language (English) as well as the translation (Arabic);
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in law, public administration, social science, public policy/development studies, urban planning, or other relevant fields;
- Legal and technical knowledge of PPP / public procurement and financial management in Lebanese local authorities;
- Good knowledge of the work of Lebanese municipalities and municipal unions in theory and practice;
- At least seven (7) years of professional experience in social science data analysis and report writing in a concise, think-tank style;
- Writing samples/publications touching on the targeted sectors;
- IT skills (MS Word and Excel);
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work with a culturally diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English is a requirement.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this consultancy, please send your application, consisting of (1) a cover letter, (2) your CV, (3) relevant work samples, and (4) a draft outline of the respective Briefing Paper to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include either PPP or Municipal Procurement and Finance Expert (Lebanon) in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity. This consultancy is subject to expected funding. Applying for this position by postal mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications is 10 September 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10