Contract Period: Assignments from June 2018 onwards
Form of employment: flexible working hours
Deadline to apply: 31 May (midnight CET)
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms. The aims of the project are to provide Ukrainian and international public with regular first-hand reports and analyses of ongoing political reforms, feeding international standards and comparative practice into the reform discussions, and to build capacities of regional and local civil society groups, youth organisations and students for monitoring, analysis and advocacy for reforms.
DRI is looking for two translators, for Ukrainian – English (English native speaker) and English – Ukrainian (Ukrainian native speaker) languages. Selected translators will be called on for specific assignments during the project.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Ukraine or his designee, the Translators will perform translation, proof-reading and editing services in relation to DRI’s project publications and project materials, in particular:
- Translate DRI’s publications and other project materials (legal reviews, presentations, opinions, newsletters, press releases, briefing papers, DRI’s legislative monitoring chart etc.) mainly from English into Ukrainian/Ukrainian into English;
- Proof-read and edit publications, and ensure they correspond to DRI style guide and layout;
- If required, provide translation services to DRI local and international experts working on project assignments (written translation and consecutive translation at meetings);
- Follow and update DRI’s style guide for publications in Ukrainian and English to ensure quality, clarity and consistency;
- Any other tasks as required and assigned by DRI’s Country Representative in Ukraine.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in linguistics, translation or other relevant fields;
- Proven track of related experience in translating (2 years);
- Proven experience in translating materials related to political and legal developments in Ukraine is a strong asset for this position;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Ukrainian, including the ability to draft and revise texts, both for publishing and for public presentations;
- Native level of Ukrainian (for Ukrainian – English) and native level of English (for English – Ukrainian) is a strong asset;
- Good time management skills;
- Computer literacy with practical experience in Microsoft applications.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications (cover letter, CV and three contacts for references) in one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the specification English-Ukrainian / Ukrainian-English Translator in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 31 May 2018 (midnight CET).
Due to the number of applications DRI typically receives only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants may be contacted before the deadline.