Position Title: Communications and Research Officer – Lebanon (f/m)
Form of Employment: full-time (100%)
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: until 31 December 2017 with possibility of renewal
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Communications and Research Officer (f/m) for its country presence in Lebanon. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Country Representative, s/he leads on research and communication related aspects of DRI’s project ‘An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon’.
In the first half of the 12-month project, DRI facilitated a consortium of four Lebanese organisations determined to set an agenda for decentralisation in Lebanon. Building on a country-wide assessment of municipal federations, and based on a comprehensive communication strategy, DRI will kick off the advocacy phase with the consortium from July 2017 onwards. The Communications and Research Officer will be closely involved in this advocacy phase by leading on all communications activities of the project and by supporting the Country Representative with relevant research and with drafting various materials for external consumption.
DRI is currently in discussions with potential donors about an extension of this project for 2018 and 2019.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Country Representative, the Communications and Research Officer will be responsible for communication of project activities and outputs to the Lebanese and international audiences, as well as research on relevant topics to the project implementation and, in particular:
- Support the Country Representative with specific research tasks, such as background research on political or legal developments in the field of decentralisation;
- Develop and maintain media relations (developing media messages, writing press materials, drafting and editing comment pieces, in English and Arabic, ideally also in French; developing and maintaining contacts with Beirut-based and regional journalists);
- Lead on the implementation of the project communication strategy and tools, including a newsletter and DRI’s social media tools (Facebook, Twitter);
- Monitor the media coverage of relevant reform debates and provide regular concise reports to the Beirut team and DRI HQ in Berlin;
- Contribute to the writing and proof-editing of donor reports;
- Develop, maintain and update the distribution lists;
- Contribute to the organisation of the project events, including press conferences and roundtables;
- Support the development and implementation of the project’s and consortium’s communication and advocacy strategy;
- Support the development, design and layout of communication and advocacy materials;
- Any other outreach activities, as agreed with the Country Representative and DRI HQ.
- University degree in journalism, public relations, political science, international relations or related field;
- Minimum 2–3 years of communications experience (including media relations and social media management);
- Experience working for a think tank, research organisation, or NGO;
- Experience researching, writing, editing, proof-reading and designing communication documents for subsequent distribution;
- Ability to analyse information from different sources and synthesise this information into coherent and brief communication documents;
- Knowledge of local governance, democratisation and decentralisation is a strong asset;
- Advanced IT skills, including Microsoft Office;
- Experience in event organisation and management is an asset;
- Fluent in English and Arabic; proven excellent writing and editing skills in English and Arabic are an essential prerequisite. French is a plus.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
Interested applicants should send their application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Research and Communications Officer – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding.
Extended deadline for applications is 23 July 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.