Position Title: Communications Expert – Lebanon (f/m)
Form of Employment: short-term assignment
Starting Date: 26 June 2017
Duration: maximum of five working days
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a Communications Expert (f/m) for a short-term assignment. In collaboration with the current Research and Communications Officer and under the supervision of DRI’s responsible project officer and Lebanon’s Country Representative, s/he will support the development of communication materials of DRI’s project ‘An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon’.
In the first half of the 12-month project, DRI facilitated a consortium of four Lebanese organisations determined to set an agenda for decentralisation in Lebanon. Building on a country-wide assessment of municipal federations, and based on a comprehensive communication strategy, DRI will kick off the advocacy phase with the consortium from July 2017 onwards. The Communications Expert will therefore support the preparations for the advocacy phase, lead on innovative communication products of current project activities and develop an introductory guide for a new Communications Officer to join the team.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the DRI’s responsible project officer and Lebanon’s Country Representative, the Communications Expert will support the Research and Communications Officer in the communication of project activities and outputs to the Lebanese and international audiences, in particular:
- Lead on the development, design and layout of innovative communication and advocacy materials reporting on the implementation of the assessment of the municipal federations;
- Support the current Communications and Research Officer in the development of messages and messaging schedules for the upcoming phase;
- Support the hand-over and development of an introductory guide to the new Communications and Research Officer;
- Any other outreach activities, as agreed with the Country Representative and DRI HQ.
- University degree in journalism, public relations, political science, international relations or related field;
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the field of communications (including media relations, social media management and consultancies for NGOs in the governance sector);
- Experience working for a think tank, research organisation, or NGO;
- Experience editing, proof-reading and designing communication documents for subsequent distribution;
- Advanced IT skills, including Microsoft Office;
- Familiarity with DRI as an organisation is an asset;
- Fluency in English is a requirement.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
Interested applicants should send their application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Communications Expert – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications is 25 June 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.