Position Title: Data Quality Checkers (f/m/d; two positions in Sri Lanka)
Form of Employment: Consultancy
Starting Date: End of October 2019
Duration: 30 working days between end of October 2019 to 31 December 2020
Location: Sri Lanka / Home-based with frequent online meetings
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is operating in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has implemented various democratic strengthening projects with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Union (EU), the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). DRI has worked on the thematic areas of human rights, constitutions, and democratic discourse with a focus on strengthening civil society in their work towards democratic reforms.
DRI, together with its partners PAFFREL and CMEV, is launching the project “Preventing electoral violence in Sri Lanka by advancing core electoral reform issues and strengthening the integrity of public discourse” funded by the German Federal Foreign Office. Part of the project focuses on the analysis and discussion of anti-democratic social media content to counter disinformation and hate speech in Sri Lanka during the upcoming election year.
DRI is currently recruiting two Data Quality Checkers for the implementation of its project in Sri Lanka. In collaboration with, and under supervision of, the Social Media Analyst you will be checking the coding of social media content scraped from Facebook and Twitter.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Take part in an introductory training on social media analysis and manual coding;
- Develop data coding sheets, controls and analysis tools that help ensure consistent quality throughout the data coding process;
- Assist DRI’s Social Media Analyst in filtering the posts of relevant Sri Lankan social media pages;
- Check the coding applied to posts and comments against the defined “categories” and work with Social Media Coders to fix the coding errors;
- Collect and review the narrative reports produced by the Social Media Coders to uncover any data errors and to coordinate correction.
Qualifications we require:
- Academic background in politics, media, law or other relevant fields;
- Knowledge of ongoing political and social reform debates in Sri Lanka;
- Profound understanding of the (social) media landscape in Sri Lanka;
- Strong analytical skills to identify content, abstract data and provide analysis thereof;
- Eye for details and meticulous working style;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel;
- Fluency in writing and reading in Sinhala and English and/or Tamil and English;
- Legal right to work in Sri Lanka;
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “2019/08: Data Quality Checker” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 9 October 2019, 23:59 local time.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The positions may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10