Position Title: English-to-Arabic Translator
Form of Employment: Part-time consultancy (framework contract)
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Until 31 December 2020 with possibility of renewal/extension
Closing date: 21st February, 12:00 pm Beirut time
Location: Deskwork (remote assignments)
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH (DRI) is a nonpartisan, independent, not-for-profit international organisation registered in Berlin, Germany and operating in different parts of the world. It is implanted in Lebanon since October 2016.
In the framework of its Lebanon projects (e. g. “Supporting Decentralisation –: Accountable, Inclusive and Effective Governance in Lebanon– Phase III”, “Resilience in Local Governance”, “Municipal know-how for host communities in the Middle East”), DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote local governance in line with good governance principles. Our projects aim to reinforce effective cooperation between citizens and government and create platforms for coordination and exchange between them.
DRI works closely with Lebanese civil society organisations and cooperates with academics, think tanks and practitioners. In this context, DRI seeks to make its knowledge products (policy papers and briefs), communications and advocacy materials (infographics, press statements, awareness documents) in Arabic accessible to a national audience by hiring an Arabic translator on a framework contract. An index of our publications can be found here.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon, the English-to-Arabic translator shall provide a high-quality translation of all DRI Lebanon publications, which include but are not limited to:
- A study on municipal mergers and the financial sustainability of municipalities in Lebanon (10,000 words);
- An institutional capacity assessment study on Lebanese municipal unions (9,000 words);
- A Policy Brief on Local Governance and Development in Akkar (3,000 words);
- A Policy Brief on Public Accountability and Integrity Frameworks in Lebanon (3,000 words);
- Proofing the final layout version of publications;
- DRI’s knowledge materials and communication outputs according to DRI style guide, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- A university degree in translation, Arabic literature or relevant fields;
- Minimum 7 years of experience translating into Arabic;
- Demonstrated experience in working with an international organisation, think tank or research centre;
- Proven record of translation of governance and public policy documents is essential;
- Ability to meet strict and tight deadlines;
- Knowledge of Lebanese terminology on governance, politics and democracy is a strong asset;
- Ability to reflect the essence of the translated text from English while maintaining a natural reflection and contextual relevance in Arabic is essential.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application, consisting of:
- a cover letter describing your profile, area of translation expertise and total years of relevant experience in the field,
- your Curriculum Vitae,
- translated work samples in Arabicalong with the source text in English,
- translated reports in similar fields(public policy and governance),
- your rate per word (in Eur), and
- Letters of appreciation/recommendation from previous clients with complete references and contact information (authorised representative, mobile/telephone, e-mail)
to email@example.com, cc’ing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “English-to-Arabic Translator – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 21st February, 12:00 pm Beirut time. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Clarification requests will be accepted until 14th February 2020, 12:00 PM local time.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10