Form of employment: Short-term consultancy
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: 45-50 days (20-25 days in 2019; 20-25 days in 2020)
Location: Islamabad/Pakistan, with travel to Lahore and Peshawar
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a short-term national Baseline/Midline/Endline Study Expert for its country office in Islamabad, Pakistan. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Officer you will conduct a baseline study in 2019 and a midline and endline study in 2020 for DRI’s German Federal Foreign Office funded project “Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan”. The Overall Objective of the Project is to strengthen local constituencies, both on the governmental and non-governmental side, to consolidate the democratic transition in Pakistan, especially with a view to human rights protection and effective, decentralised governance.
As part of the project, DRI requires the services of a short-term consultant to collect data/information against indicators defined in the project logframe that will serve as a baseline for the project and will help the project in setting targets for project indicators and measuring progress against them. The consultant will also be required to collect data against the indicators for the midline and endline studies in 2020 to measure the level of achievement against the set targets. The consultant will be required to engage with key institutions including the Provincial Level Human Rights Bodies, the Provincial Assemblies, Political Parties, Civil Society Organisations etc in Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Provinces to:
- assess the situation of institutions (Provincial level Human Rights Bodies and Parliament etc) in terms of their capacities to improve human rights advocacy and protection in Pakistan;
- measure the awareness levels and technical knowledge among political stakeholders (parliamentarians, political parties etc.) and civil society on local government structures and reforms for effective decentralisation in Pakistan.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Design methodology of the study, including but not limited to the use of secondary data sources, the finalisation of the sample size, the development of the questionnaires for the focus group discussions, qualitative interviews and online surveys;
- Revise the design, if necessary, for the midline and endline studies;
- Collect data against the indicators at different levels of the logframe for the baseline in September/October 2019 as well as the midline and endline studies planned for February and end of 2020 respectively;
- Develop a report based on the data collected from the provinces against the outcome and output indicators of the project;
- Provide technical support and guidance to the project team for carrying out interviews and gathering information from different stakeholders in the future;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in political science, development studies, project management, research methodology or other relevant fields;
- At least 5 years of work experience with conducting baseline/midline/endline studies or evaluations for development projects in Pakistan;
- Extensive experience of developing quantitative and qualitative data collection tools, data collection using participatory approaches and data analysis;
- Proven track record of assessing capacities of institutions in Pakistan;
- In-depth knowledge of the political context of the country;
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders which include the National Human Rights Bodies, the parliament and civil society of the country;
- Good understanding of and experience in using project Logframes;
- Good communication skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu, knowledge of Pashtu is an asset;
- Report writing skills.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “2019/06 National Expert: Baseline/Midline/Endline Study” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 18 September 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10