Position Title: Decentralisation & Local Governance Experts – Lebanon (f/m)
Form of Employment: Short-term assignment
Starting Date: October 2017
Duration: 2–3 mission days, 1–2 days of desk-work
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
With funding from the German Foreign Office, DRI Lebanon is implementing a project called “An Agenda for Decentralisation – Local Governance in Lebanon”. The project seeks to frame the debate on decentralisation and set an agenda for decentralisation in Lebanon. DRI therefore works with Lebanese civil society organisations and government representatives at the local and national level to enhance decentralisation in line with principles of good governance.
In the framework of this project, DRI Lebanon is looking for three legal experts of decentralisation and local governance in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region (Tunisia, Jordan and other MENA countries, such as Morocco). In close collaboration with and under supervision of the DRI Country Representative Lebanon, the experts will present and discuss the various aspects of decentralisation and local governance reform in Tunisia, Jordan and other MENA countries in a comparative legal perspective. The 2–3-day workshop will be held in Beirut, Lebanon, between 20 and 25 October 2017 (final dates to be determined) with Lebanese MPs, particularly the members of the Administration and Justice Parliamentary Committee that is debating a decentralisation bill since December 2016.
The goal of the workshop is to better understand the experiences of decentralisation in other MENA countries, particularly – but not limited to – Tunisia and Jordan. The Decentralisation Experts will be asked to hold two to three presentations on specific topics related to decentralisation and local governance in the said countries during the workshop sessions, one with Lebanese MPs and the others with media, lawyers, civil society representatives and politicians.
Tasks and Deliverables:
Given the breadth of the assignment, up to three experts will be recruited according to the relevance of their expertise to deliver all or some of the tasks stated below:
- Develop a workshop methodology for comparing and discussing different models of decentralisation in the MENA region;
- Develop a presentation/handout to share with participants during the workshop;
- Develop pre-and post-workshop evaluation questionnaires (pre- and post-tests) and provide analysis of the results in a short report, to be delivered one week after the workshop, including also the methodology;
- Deliver one workshop on decentralisation and local governance in MENA countries for Lebanese MPs (1 day) – focus: subsidiarity principle, distribution of central/decentralised jurisdictions, election of local councils, fiscal decentralisation, central oversight and accountability;
- Deliver one Information Session for media representatives, lawyers, politicians and activists (1 day) – focus: guiding principles of decentralisation, general political framework;
- Perform any other tasks relevant to this assignment as agreed upon with DRI.
Qualifications and Experience
- A university degree in Political Science, Law, Public Administration, Social Science or equivalent, with minimum 5 years of practitioner’s experience in the field of Decentralization and Local Governance in one or more MENA countries;
- Excellent writing and communication skills and demonstrated research experience;
- Significant experience in delivering workshops/lectures on Decentralisation and Local Governance
- Fluency in English is a requirement and fluency in Arabic is a strong asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV and a proposed workshop methodology, clearly indicating which MENA country you will present) to email@example.com. Please include “LG Expert – Lebanon (f/m)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 24 September 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.