Position Title: Democratic Governance Analyst
Form of Employment: Short-term Consultancy
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Until 31 December 2018, with the possibility of extension
Location: Islamabad / Pakistan, with possible travel to the provinces
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
With support from the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI Pakistan is currently implementing the project “Supporting Advocacy for Human Rights, Good Governance and Elections in Pakistan”, aiming to support Pakistan’s state institutions, National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) and civil society to formulate, implement and advocate for priority human rights and democratic reforms.
DRI is currently recruiting a short-term consultant as a stop-gap arrangement for the position of Democratic Governance Analyst for its country office in Islamabad, Pakistan. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Pakistan you will design, implement and follow up on a set of project activities related to elections and parliamentary strengthening in Pakistan.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Organize public discussions, inter-provincial exchanges and other events for parliamentarians and civil society organizations;
- Conduct capacity building workshops, trainings, and briefings or meetings with key policy-makers, civil society organizations and other stakeholders;
- Coordinate the implementation of the project activities with DRI coordinators based in all four provincial capitals;
- Contribute to project publications and expert briefings by conducting research on political developments, civil rights and the legal framework, especially on elections, in Pakistan as well as by editing written outputs;
- Support the work of short-term experts;
- Contribute to project Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL), including tracking project outputs and the preparation of monthly implementation reports;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in political science, human rights, international law or other relevant fields;
- At least 3 years of work experience in the international development sector and/or policy related work;
- Excellent understanding of the international human rights framework, NHRIs and Pakistan’s relevant policies, laws and systems;
- Demonstrated experience in providing institutional support (particularly to the NHRIs), human rights research, and review/analysis of policy and legislative frameworks;
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team and under pressure;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu;
- Proficient IT skills.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply! Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Democratic Governance Analyst – Pakistan” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 23 October 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10