Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Two years, with the possibility of extension
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organization registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In North Africa DRI works currently in Tunisia and in Libya.
In Tunisia DRI has supported the making of the constitution and since 2014 supports its implementation. DRI’s current four projects focus on judicial institutions reforms, support to new independent bodies decentralisation and, and empowerment of youth to engage in local democracy
We work with a wide range of partners and target groups including courts, attorneys, independent oversight bodies, members of parliament, local authorities, civil society and journalists.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under the current programme DRI works with Libyan partners and networks to build the knowledge and capacity of Libyan citizens to engage in the country’s governance processes via civic education and multi-stakeholder dialogue activities.
DRI is recruiting a North Africa Representative to lead and guide this wide-ranging portfolio, with a stronger involvement in the Tunisia work (see below for details). The Tunisia team will consist of some 24 colleagues while the Libya programme is managed by 5 colleagues.
Tasks and Outputs:
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Director of Programmes, the North Africa Representative will guide and oversee the programmatic work by DRI country offices and projects, as well as the overall strategy in North Africa. Currently no activities are foreseen in other countries in the region.
Project Design and Implementation
The DRI Representative will:
In close coordination with the Office Director, will oversee the implementation and closure of the projects in line with project objectives and in strict compliance with the contract and the requirements of the grant giver, ensuring that project products and activities are responsive to project goals, based on DRI’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) policy.
- Track political developments and risks and establish and maintain strong working relationships with local project partners and stakeholders.
- Will supervise the drafting of reports, briefing papers and other knowledge resources of the projects to ensure the accuracy of publications and reporting and ensure wide dissemination based on an outreach strategy.
Management and Oversight
The DRI Representative will:
- in close co-operation with the DRI Office Director, provide day-to-day management and leadership (including staff development and mentoring) to DRI Tunisia programme staff. He or she supervises the Tunisia Office Director, who manages the Finance and Administration Team.
- oversee the recruitment and work undertaken of international and Tunisian experts as well as will evaluate their performance.
External Representation & Communication
The DRI Representative will:
- represent DRI in Tunisia and Libya, respecting DRI’s mission statement of promoting political rights as enshrined in international human rights standards, as well as DRI’s reputation and status as a charitable, non-profit company. He will do so in close co-ordination with the Office Director who legally represents DRI in Tunisia.
- coordinate closely with domestic and international organisations as well as relevant embassies in Tunisia, to ensure complementary program activities. This also includes the exploration and establishment of partnerships.
The DRI Representative for North Africa will represent DRI Libya and will give strategic advice and guidance to DRI Libya’s Project Director. In particular, she/he will:
- provide strategic advice and guidance to the Project Director and DRI Berlin on project planning, implementation and development represent DRI Libya, its programme and achievements in North Africa at relevant meetings with external actors to further DRI’s work in Libya and mission more generally (in close coordination with the DRI Libya Project Director).
- give input into DRI’s strategic plans for further work in Libya and possibly other countries in North Africa.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in law, political science or in another relevant field;
- Eight years of progressively responsible international work experience in the field of strategic and programme management of governance, democratic transition, rule of law or similar projects while working with an international organisations, NGO and/or donor agency;
- Proven relevant experience in areas such as good governance, rule of law, reforms of the justice sector, democratisation, human rights, civic engagement;
- Excellent spoken and written English and a good knowledge of French;
- Excellent interpersonal, managerial and communication skills, and a strong administrative track record, including proven leadership and staff management;
- Experience in working in Tunisia and/or MENA region will be a strong asset;
- Excellent donor management and communication skills.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply! Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Representative North Africa” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Previous deadline was 06.01.2019. New closing date for applications is now: 03.02.2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10