Election Expert Campaign Finance (Sri Lanka)
Form of Employment: Short-term consultancy
Starting Date: 1 October 2019
Duration: 15 days
Location: home based
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is operating in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has implemented various democratic strengthening projects with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Union, the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). DRI has worked in Sri Lanka on the thematic areas of human rights, constitutions, and democratic discourse with a focus on strengthening civil society in their work towards democratic reforms.
DRI is currently expanding its work in Sri Lanka to include electoral reforms. The upcoming presidential, parliamentary and provincial council elections will be a defining moment for Sri Lanka’s democratic consolidation. The lack of a legal framework for campaign finance increases the risk of social polarization, electoral violence and the violation of human rights. In Sri Lanka, as elsewhere, unregulated campaign finances have led to an uneven playing field and bear the risk of unregulated foreign and domestic interference in the elections by regional powers and networks of religious-political extremist groups in the country. Hence, it is critical to support reform efforts to introduce a mechanism to regulate campaign finances during the upcoming elections.
DRI therefore requires the services of an Election Expert: Campaign Finance in Sri Lanka.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Director of Programmes in Berlin Head Office, the Election Expert will perform tasks and deliverables which include the following:
- Review existing provisions on the regulation of campaign finance in Sri Lanka;
- Review draft regulation on campaign finance in Sri Lanka and assess it against international standards;
- Provide a legal assessment of existing and draft regulations for campaign finance in Sri Lanka, to the extend needed;
- Hold interviews with relevant stakeholders to inform the research, if needed;
- Provide comparative examples / best practice cases for campaign finance from other countries, including a suitable implementing mechanism to implement a campaign finance law once passed through parliament;
- Synthesize information to outline needs and shortcomings of campaign finance in Sri Lanka against international standards and country examples with a view to strengthening local advocacy efforts;
- Provide materials and analysis on campaign finance regulations, as required;
- Draft an outline for an analytical paper on campaign finances and revise this as per feedback from DRI and partners;
- Collate all findings in an analytical paper according to the agreed outline;
- Provide information for the creation of info graphics to illustrate the findings;
- Draft recommendations for Sri Lankan stakeholders to drive the discussion on campaign finance forward and improve the legal framework;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Your Education and Experience
- University degree in politics, social sciences, law or any other relevant discipline;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in applied research and/or political analysis or international politics, particularly regarding electoral reforms, election observation, and campaign finance;
- Demonstrated expertise in analysing campaign finance issues, including legislation and regulation for campaign finance;
- In-depth understanding of elections and democracy issues in Sri Lanka and internationally;
- Knowledge of international standards for democratic elections, especially related to campaign finance;
- Comparative expertise on campaign finance regulation internationally;
- Demonstrated experience of writing high quality research reports;
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to conceptualise policy formulation within the subject area;
- Excellent English language skills (spoken and written) is a requirement.
For interested applicants, please send your application (cover letter, CV and three references) to [email protected]. Please include “2019/06: Election Expert: Campaign Finance – Sri Lanka” in the subject line, refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 6 October 2019. This consultancy is contingent upon funding.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10