Looking for: Elections Expert
Form of Employment: Consultancy (11 expert days)
Contract Period: Until December 2021
Starting Date: April 2021
Location: Lebanon (home-based, with occasional field visits outside of Beirut)
Closing of applications: 6 April 2021, 12:00 PM local time
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In the framework of its Lebanon projects “Social Participation and Social Engagement by Young People: Electing and Training Youth Council”, funded by GIZ, and “Supporting Decentralisation – Phase III: Accountable, Inclusive and Effective Governance in Lebanon”, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote good governance principles. The projects aim to engage youth in local governance processes and reforms, supporting youth to be engaged in political decision-making, and building trust between youth, government, and other citizen groups.
DRI will support the election of three Youth Councils and provide continuous capacity-building in partnership with a Municipality or Union of Municipalities in three Lebanese regions. The purpose of the project is to strengthen social cohesion between local government, youth, and local communities. The establishment of three Youth Council structures should contribute in the long-term to local government reform and engage local communities in municipal issues based on participatory mechanisms.
To this end, DRI is looking for an Elections expert to review and oversee the implementation of the electoral law for the Youth Council election, and train candidates and observers prior the elections.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Country Representative and in close coordination with the DRI Lebanon Programme Unit, the expert will:
- Draft a comprehensive electoral law for the Youth Councils and introduce the necessary revisions and adjustments in light of regular review sessions with DRI. The electoral law should be aligned with General Comment No. 25 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), international best practices, and mainstream DRI’s guidelines on gender and diversity.
- Provide three training workshops of one day eachfor the young candidates and observers to enhance their knowledge of the electoral law, the municipal legal framework, and the election procedure (one-day-training per locality)
- Provide three training workshops of one day each for young candidates on campaigning skills (one training of one day per locality)
- Prepare methodology concept notes for the training sessions and contribute to the activity report/finding.
The expert must be available in person, or remotely, for regular meetings with DRI and assist in the reviewing process of the electoral law. The expert will also give training workshops for young candidates and observers in person or remotely depending on Covid-19 restrictions.
Timeline of deliverables:
|5 days for formulating and amending the electoral law in line with international standards and gender mainstreaming guidelines||April 2021|
|1 day for training the youth on campaigning skills (Bechmezin – Koura)||April – May 2021|
|1 day for training the youth on the electoral law and election observation (Bechmezin-Koura)||April 2021|
|1 day for training the youth on campaigning skills (region 2 to be selected based on selection criteria list)||July – August 2021|
|1 day for training the youth on the electoral law and election observation (region 2 to be selected based on selection criteria list)||July 2021|
|1 day for training the youth on campaigning skills (region 3 to be selected based on selection criteria list)||August – September 2021|
|1 day for training the youth on the electoral law and election observation (region 3 to be selected based on selection criteria list)||August 2021|
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in political science, law, social science, public policy, or related discipline;
- At least 5 years of experience in election analysis, electoral support, election observation, democratic governance, and related advocacy;
- Deep knowledge of electoral systems and electoral laws;
- Experience in voter education, campaigning, and social inclusion, preferably with youth and vulnerable groups;
- Experience in the development and delivery of capacity-building and mentoring programmes;
- Ability to draft a mock electoral law for awareness-raising and educational purposes;
- Cultural sensitivity, field-savviness, and ability to communicate with diverse groups;
- Fluency in Arabic is a requirement.
The level of effort for this assignment is eleven expert days (five days for formulating and amending the electoral law, three days for training the youth on campaigning skills, and three days for training the youth on electoral law and election observation). Travel, accommodation expenses and meals for the expert shall not be covered by DRI.
Interested candidates should send their applications, consisting of (1) a cover letter, (2) their CV, incl. three references, (3) samples of previous publications on electoral law and democratic governance, and (4) financial offer mentioning an all-inclusive expert daily fee to [email protected] cc’ing [email protected].
Clarification requests will be accepted until 29 March 2021, 12:00 PM local time.
Please include “Elections Expert – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 6 April 2021, 12:00 PM local time. The assignment may start before the end of the deadline so early proposals are encouraged.
DRI is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. We strongly encourage qualified females to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10