Position title: Government and Media Engagement Expert
Starting date: November 2021
Duration: Up to 20 working days (in November and December 2021)
Location: Lahore, Quetta, Karachi, Peshawar, and Islamabad
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In an ongoing project titled “Strengthening Media Freedom and Civic Space in Pakistan,” DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with parliamentarians and government bodies to streamline the process of CSO registration and modulation. The overall objective of the project is to work with the government to create a conducive environment for civil society and media. DRI seeks the services of a Government and Media Engagement Expert to facilitate the DRI team in engaging with spokespersons of select ministries and departments of federal and provincial to sensitize them on their responsibilities under the Right to Informational Law. Such an initiative will help orient stakeholders, including spokespersons and public relation departments of government institutions, and garner their support for greater transparency and press freedom.
- Conducting five interactive sessions for 100 government public relations officials with media (one each in Lahore, Quetta, Peshawar, Karachi and Islamabad);
- Preparing technical materials for the sessions;
- Reaching out to stakeholders and ensuring attendance from key stakeholders including spokespersons of select ministries and departments of federal and provincial governments and relevant media personnel (key journalists of print and electronic media);
- Preparing event reports and a post-event follow-up plan to ensure sustainability of the activity;
- Other related tasks assigned by the DRI team.
Qualifications we require;
- A university degree in Political Science/Public Policy/Human Rights/ International Law or equivalent;
- Excellent understanding of Pakistan’s democratic governance systems and Right to Information framework;
- Demonstrated experience in developing/conducting government and media personnel trainings around Right to Information reforms. At least 8 years of experience of working with the government Public Relations Officers (PROs) in all provinces will be considered an asset;
- Excellent training, communication, research and writing skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Government and Media Engagement Expert” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 7 October 2021. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
The organisation responsible for this vacancy:
12045 Berlin, Germany