CALL FOR TENDER – ENGLISH LANGUAGE EDITOR
Type of services: English Language Editor
Form of Employment: part-time consultancy (deskwork), framework contract
Contract duration: August 2019 – August 2020, with possibility of extension until 31 December 2022
Deadline: 4 August 2019
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is looking for an editor to edit documents, articles, factsheets and other publications in English for grammatical and spelling errors, as well as coherence. The publications address rule of law developments in EU member states, political and legal developments in transitional democracies, and other similar topics.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of DRI’s Communications Coordinator and in close cooperation with DRI experts/staff, the editor will revise and edit written content to ensure coherence, quality, and clarity. More specifically, the editor will:
- Review and edit content to improve readability, ensuring that complex ideas are expressed in clear and plain language
- Copy-edit the content to correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar syntax and style
- Apply the DRI style guide
- Discuss and resolve any issues with authors and the Communications Coordinator
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least three years working experience in editing content and publications in English; native English speaker is preferable
- Solid editorial skills with demonstrated ability for logical and analytical writing and editing
- Demonstrated ability to produce quality work in a short time, within deadlines and under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Proficiency using standard software (notably Microsoft Office)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity, experience with gender mainstreaming desirable
- Familiarity with democratic governance, international affairs and human rights is desirable
Both companies and individuals are encouraged to apply.
In order to participate in the Call for Tender, it is necessary to submit the following documents:
- Financial bid (expected daily/hourly fee or rate per word)
- A certified copy of registration (if applicable)
- List of references with current contact details
- CV’s of people to be hired
- Examples or links to examples of your previous work
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and “English Editor” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 23:59 (CEST) 4 August 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10