Form of Employment: Consultancy (8 expert days)
Contract Period: Until December 2021
Starting Date: April 2021
Location: Lebanon (home-based, with occasional visits to Tannourine)
Closing of applications: 6 April 2021, 12:00 PM local time
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
In the framework of its Lebanon project “Supporting Decentralisation – Phase III: Accountable, Inclusive and Effective Governance in Lebanon”, funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote good governance principles. The project aims to reinforce effective cooperation between national and local governments and create platforms for coordination and exchange between citizens and public authorities at the local, regional, and national levels.
To this end, DRI is looking for an expert in Solid Waste Management (SWM) & Participatory Processes expert to formulate recommendations and lesson learnt for an inclusive SWM plan for Tannourine Municipality. As part of DRIs continuous work on improving public service delivery which includes improving municipal work on SWM. The basis for our actions are outlined in our publications, particularly:
- Inclusive and Sustainable Solid Waste Management in Lebanon: Guidelines for an Integrated Framework (December 2019)
- Solid Waste Management in Lebanon: Lessons for Decentralisation (October 2019)
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Country Representative and in close coordination with the Programme Unit, and based on joint discussions with the partner municipality, the expert will:
- Design and conduct trainings and facilitate brainstorming sessions with the partner municipality and civil society members, either online or in person throughout the on topics related to cost recovery system, waste transportation, and user inclusivity.
- Review existing practices (baseline) and draft;
- Develop and draft a concise Integrated SWM (ISWM) recommendation framework of around 6,000 words (incl. tables and graphs) addressing technical and governance components such as citizen engagement and user inclusivity, waste transportation plan, cost-recovery system based on the brainstorming sessions.
- Formulate actionable short, medium, and long-term recommendations focusing on the role of municipality and decentralisation as an enabling framework.
- Accompany and coach the municipality on the implementation of the ISWM framework and integrate the necessary revisions and adjustments.
- Attend regular coordination meetings and debriefings with DRI to review progress and outlines next steps.
The plan can be formulated in either or English.
Timeline and Deliverables:
|2 days for training and brainstorming sessions (total of 5 sessions 2 hours each)||April 2021- May 2021|
|3 days for developing SWM recommendation framework||May 2021|
|2 days for accompanying and coaching the municipality based on developed framework||June 2021|
|1 day amending and reviewing plan in coordination with municipality and DRI||September 2021|
Qualifications we require:
- Master’s degree or PhD in Environmental Engineering, Social Science, Political Science, Economics, Law or equivalent.
- At least ten years of fieldwork and practitioner’s experience in local governance and SWM in Lebanon and/or abroad.
- Significant experience in delivering workshops, lectures, or training on SWM.
- Strong publication record on SWM issues.
- Experience in developing ISWM plans for municipalities.
- Excellent writing and analytical abilities.
- Excellent communication skills and field-savviness.
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
The level of effort for this assignment is eight expert days (two days for brainstorming sessions, three days for developing ISWM recommendations, two days for monitoring and coaching, and one day for adjustments and revisions). Travel, accommodation expenses, and meals for the expert shall not be covered by DRI.
Interested candidates should send their applications, consisting of (1) a cover letter, (2) their CV, incl. three references (3) samples of relevant works or publications, and (4) a financial offer mentioning an all-inclusive expert daily fee to [email protected] cc’ing [email protected].
Clarification requests will be accepted in writing until 29 March 2021, 12:00 PM local time.
Please include “SWM Expert – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 6 April 2021, 12:00 PM local time. The assignment may start before the end of the deadline so early proposals are encouraged.
DRI is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. We strongly encourage qualified females to apply for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10