Form of Employment: short-term consultancy
Starting Date: 1 November 2020
Duration: 4 days (2 days deskwork and 2 days of online training)
Location: Remote Deskwork
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) strengthens democracy by shaping the institutions that make it sustainable. We support local ways of promoting democracy with impartial analysis and good practices, bringing international standards to life. The belief that people are active participants in public life, not subjects of their governments, guides what we do. We work with local actors to protect and expand our shared democratic space in a polarised world, regardless of political opinions or personal beliefs.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this project, DRI worked with its local partners and networks to create a conducive environment for a democratic transition. DRI, in close cooperation with its local partners, implements awareness raising activities among citizens on the relevance of democratic milestones of the transition and facilitates exchange between citizens and relevant political and institutional actors.
DRI aspires to be a gender and diversity sensitive organisation and to introduce gender and diversity mainstreaming as an integral part of all its programming in Libya and beyond. The DRI Libya office is therefore looking for a short-term expert to train the DRI Libya team on power and gender. The objective of this exercise is to introduce power and gender and relate the concepts to DRI’s values and how the team members relate to them and apply these concepts and values in their daily work. In collaboration with, and under the supervision of the Gender and Diversity Focal Point and the Libya Country Director, you will develop a training methodology and hold the two-day training in English language.
- A call with the DRI Gender and Diversity Focal Point(s) and the Libya Country Director to discuss the methodology of the proposed training and agree on timeline and review the deliverables.
- Design and deliver sessions for a two-day online training to take place in November 2020 for the DRI Libya staff on power and gender.
- Write a short report after the training with pre and post assessment results and recommendations on the way forward within one week of delivering the training.
- Other relevant duties, as required.
- Concept note including methodology and outline of the proposed training package.
- Complete training package including training outline and participants guide and visual aids for an online two-day training on power and gender and the DRI values to be submitted to DRI at least one week before the event for approval. The training shall be conducted in a gender and diversity sensitive manner.
- Delivery of the two-day training to all DRI Libya staff.
- Final report with recommendations on other future training topics on gender and diversity. This report should also include pre and post assessment results and an additional assessment of the training results.
Required Language of the training and deliverables: English.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in international development or other relevant fields.
- At least 5 years of work experience on capacity development on gender and institutional capacity development.
- Experience with conducting interactive and practical training online via Zoom or other similar platforms.
- Knowledge of the Libyan and Arab regional context of women’s rights.
- Knowledge of human rights-based approaches.
- Experience in adult education methods.
- Experience in employing human rights based and feminist approaches.
- Experience in employing an intersectional approach, looking at diversity beyond gender.
- Experience in employing gender and diversity sensitive language.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (CV, concept note on how you propose to do the training and your daily rate) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Expert on Gender and Power – Libya” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 29 October 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10