Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: 11 months, with the possibility of extension
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies, and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI is operating in Sri Lanka since 2016 and has implemented various democratic strengthening projects with the support of the German Federal Foreign Office, the European Union, the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). DRI is working on the thematic areas of human rights, elections, and democratic discourse with a focus on strengthening civil society in their work towards democratic reforms.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Finance and Administration Coordinator for its Country Office in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Under the overall supervision of the Programme Director or their assigned representative, the Finance and Administration Coordinator will ensure that the country office and management of project funds, meet all donor requirements, Sri Lankan legal requirements, German bookkeeping requirements as well as DRI internal policies and procedures, including procurement, recruitment and human resources, reporting, and legal matters. The Finance and Administration Coordinator will be responsible to line-manage a finance and administration team of two staff.
- Ensure that the DRI Sri Lanka office meets all donor requirements, Sri Lanka legal requirements, German bookkeeping requirements as well as DRI internal regulations;
- Draft and oversee implementation of all administrative policies, procedures and templates;
- Prepare documentation for external audits and expenditure verification, including evidence of payments, procurement and activities as well as compiling the audit samples as required.
Finances and donor reporting
- Be responsible for the monthly financial reports to DRI Headquarters and budget monitoring;
- Forecast cashflow requirements and prepare monthly wire transfer requests;
- Prepare (activity-based) budgets, budget amendments and donor financial reports as per donor requirements;
- Manage the local bank accounts and process payments (cash and bank) and prepare all accounting records;
- Manage the partners assessment process according to DRI’s policy;
- Provide training and financial guidance to subgrantees and project partners and oversee controlling of their financial reports and payment requests;
- Ensure that all invoices and receipts are collected, classified and stamped in accordance with the structure of the budget and DRI cost centre;
- Oversee procurement processes and ensures accurate procurement documentation;
- Act as a main contact person for financial and administrative external stakeholders (bank, lawyers, state authorities regarding office registration, sub-grantees).
- Support the team with recruitment of candidates for open positions in coordination with Head Office, the approval and signature of timesheets, payroll preparations and payroll related statutory compliances;
- Preparation of contracts and contract amendments;
- Preparation of employment and work certificates;
- Further development of HR processes (e.g. onboard and offboarding processes) and mapping this in our HR Management Software Personio.
- Manage the DRI Sri Lanka office, including rentals/landlord relations, fixtures and maintenance, IT issues, utilities/supplies, and maintaining/updating the inventory of assets;
- Line-manage a team of two staff member, including the delegation, review and quality check of tasks and input for staff’s performance appraisals.
- Develop an electronic and physical filing system for administrative and financial records. Electronic filing will be done with SharePoint in the future.
Perform any other related duties, which may be assigned.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in finance, accounting, business administration / commerce;
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience with monthly financial reporting, cash flow forecasting, budget development and expenditure forecasting, preferably on democracy related projects in a non-governmental organization working on the basis of donor regulations;
- Experience with European donors funded projects and in working with subgrantees;
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to the development and review of organizational finance and administration policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Ability of supervise and manage professional and support staff;
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of human resources, information technology, procurement and logistics aspects of administration;
- Strong coordination and communication skills and experience working with a range of stakeholders including from the profit and non-profit sector such as service providers, CSO/NGO representatives etc.;
- Excellent attention to detail to numbers and commitment to quality;
- In-depth of knowledge and experience in working with Microsoft (MS) Excel
- Strong proficiency in English, fluency in Sinhala and/or Tamil;
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally;
- Understanding of or interest in the political context and democratic reform process in Sri Lanka is desirable;
- Initial experience in the use of digital tools (HCM system, SharePoint)
What We Offer:
DRI offers you flexible working hours, travel health insurance, training options, and the opportunity to work as part of an international and diverse team.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) here. This position is subject to funding. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 20 September 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany