Position Location: Kyiv, Ukraine; travel within the country required according to the project needs. Travel to DRI HQ in Berlin for trainings
Reporting lines: Country Representative for disciplinary oversight, Director of Finance and Administration in DRI HQ for the functional oversight
Contract Period: 6 months, with a possibility of prolongation
Form of employment: full-time
Start Date: as soon as possible
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms. We are currently looking for an experienced and proactive Finance and Administration Officer to manage and supervise the administrative and financial operations of DRI’s project in Ukraine. The aims of the project are (1) to provide Ukrainian and international public with regular first-hand reports and analyses of ongoing political reforms, feeding international standards and comparative practice into the reform discussions, and (2) to build capacities of regional and local civil society groups, youth organisations and students for monitoring, analysis and advocacy for reforms. The project is funded by the Federal Foreign Office of Germany.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Finance and Administration Officer will advise and support DRI in the area of finance, administration, procurement, and human resources, especially with the following tasks:
- Manage, and supervise the financial and administrative operations of DRI office in Ukraine;
- Prepare monthly financial reports for DRI Headquarters;
- Prepare monthly wire transfer requests and regular expenditure forecasts for budget monitoring purposes;
- Process payments (cash and bank) and prepare all accounting records, including invoices, bank documents, cash receipts and cash disbursement journals;
- Prepare procurement documentation and maintain a procurement system according to donor and DRI requirements;
- Coordinate on procurement and logistics matters and liaise with local vendors and partners on related financial matters;
- Maintain an electronic and physical filing system for administrative and financial records;
- Maintain a human resources and payroll system;
- Draft and oversee implementation of all administrative policies, procedures and templates, including human resource policy, travel policy, vehicle usage policy, leave tracking templates etc.
- Be the main contact person for financial and administrative external stakeholders (bank, lawyers, state authorities regarding office registration, etc.);
- Deal with legal issues, including the preparation and/or verification of contracts;
- Manage the project office, including IT issues, in coordination with the Country Representative and HQ;
- Ensure that the project office meets all donor requirements, Ukrainian legal requirements as well as DRI internal regulations;
- Perform any other related duties, which may be assigned by supervisors.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in Business Administration or relevant discipline;
- Minimum five years of experience in administration and financial management; with demonstrated experience (at least 2 years) of working in a similar role for not-for-profit organisations;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Ukrainian, including the ability to draft and revise texts, both for contracts and reports;
- Ability to analyse information from different sources and synthesise this information into coherent and brief reports;
- Sound knowledge of financial management principles, in particular with regard to project management and allocation of resources;
- Strong time management skills and capability to meet strict deadlines;
- Excellent IT-skills, including excellent knowledge of Excel;
- Self-motivation and good communication skills are a strong asset for this position.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications (cover letter, CV and three contacts for references) in one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org including ‘Finance and Administration Officer – Ukraine’ in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 20 November 2017 (midnight CET).
The position may be filled before the end of the deadline, so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.