Starting Date: October 2020
Duration: 15 months (Oct 2020 -Dec 2021), with the possibility of extension
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
DRI has supported Ukraine’s democratic transformation since 2014 through an office in Kyiv and an outreach around the country. Our focus has been on political education, youth participation as well as on awareness-raising on constitutional/judicial reforms issues, decentralisation, democracy and the rule of law.
In 2020-2021, DRI aims to carry on this work through a dedicated project focused on youth engagement, CSO capacity building in the (south) east of Ukraine, and the rule of law issues arising from the post-covid-19 environment.
To that end, DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Finance, HR and Administration Coordinator for its Country Office in Kyiv, Ukraine. Under the overall supervision of the Project Director and their assigned representative, the Finance, HR and Administration Coordinator will ensure that the country office and the management of project funds meet all donor requirements, Ukrainian legal obligations, German bookkeeping standards as well as DRI internal policies and procedures (including on procurement, compliance, reporting, recruitment and HR). The FHRA Coordinator will also be responsible for line managing at least one Finance and Administration Officer acting as support staff.
- Lead on budget developments, expenditure forecasts and budget follow up;
- Prepare monthly financial reports for DRI Head Office;
- Forecast cashflow requirements and prepare monthly wire transfer requests;
- Supervise and be responsible for all procurement processes;
- Manage the local bank accounts and process payments (cash and bank) and prepare all accounting records;
- Develop an electronic and physical filing system for administrative and financial records;
- Act as the main contact person for financial and administrative external stakeholders (bank, lawyers, state authorities regarding office registration, sub-grantees);
- Ensure that all invoices and bills are collected, classified and stamped in accordance with the structure of the budget and DRI cost centres;
- Support the team with the recruitment of candidates for open positions in coordination with Head Office, the approval and signature of timesheets, payroll preparations and payroll related statutory compliances;
- Manage the DRI Ukraine office, including rentals/landlord relations, fixtures and maintenance, IT issues, utilities/supplies, and maintaining/updating the inventory of assets;
- Prepare donor financial reports as per donor contracts;
- Line-manage a Finance and Administration Officer, including the coaching; delegation, review and quality check of tasks; and input into performance appraisals;
- Perform any other related duties, which may be assigned.
Your skills and experience
- University degree in finance, accounting, business administration / commerce;
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience with monthly financial reporting, cash flow forecasting, budget development and expenditure forecasting;
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to the development and review of organisational finance and administration policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Ability to supervise, manage and support staff;
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of human resources, information technology, procurement and logistics aspects of administration;
- Understanding and experience of facility and asset/inventory management;
- Strong coordination and communication skills and experience working with a range of stakeholders including from the profit and non-profit sector such as service providers, CSO/NGO representatives etc.;
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to quality;
- In-depth of knowledge and experience in working with Microsoft (MS) Excel and other MS Office products;
- Strong proficiency in English.
- Prior financial management experience in the context of democracy-related projects within a non-governmental organisation setting;
- Prior experience of working to international donor regulations, in particular the German Foreign Office;
- Understanding of or interest in the political context and democratic reform process in Ukraine.
What we offer
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your application (cover letter and CV). This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 27 September 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
DRI is committed to diversity and does not discriminate in employment based upon gender (including pregnancy), race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, ability, socio-economic status, or any other status protected by the laws in the locations where we operate.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany