Position Title: Research Consultant for economic and trade data (GSP+)
Form of employment: Short term consultancy
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: 15 days between July 2019 – September 2019
Closing date: 26 July
Location: Home-based desk work
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI helps support local ways of promoting the universal right of citizens to participate in the political life of their country, as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
DRI has worked on human rights in Pakistan since 2014 with the support of various international donors. It has fostered domestic constituencies and political will for human rights and good governance reform in Pakistan through the framework of the EU’s Generalised Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+) mechanism and Pakistan’s effective implementation of international human rights obligations. In doing so, DRI has worked with various stakeholders including the Government of Pakistan, national human rights institutions, civil society through its network of Civil Society Working Groups (CSWGs) as well as other social and economic actors.
In the framework of its GIZ-funded project “Fostering the Protection of Human and Labour Rights through Trade Instruments”, DRI seeks the services of a Research Consultant to review and update its booklet “GSP+ in Pakistan. A Brief Introduction” with a view to highlighting the broader impact of the GSP+ facility in Pakistan and the economic and trade benefits Pakistan’s GSP+ status has delivered over the past four years.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review DRI’s booklet on GSP+ and identify sections that need to be updated to reflect the current economic and trade conditions under GSP+;
- Provide an economic analysis of the financial benefits gained from GSP+ and identify missed opportunities by providing relevant trade data with trends across sectors more likely to export to the EU and benefiting from the facility;
- Provide reasons why some sectors did well and others did not, clearly identifying underlying reasons for low/high exports as well as specific GSP+ related conditions exporters were not able to fulfil;
- Provide a set of recommendations for stakeholders to ensure the status can be better utilised from and economic and social standpoint.
- University degree economics, development economics, international business or finance;
- Demonstrated experience of working on international trade related studies, including data collection and analysis;
- Sound understanding and knowledge of the Pakistani economy, its existing status and international/national policy frameworks;
- Familiarity with the GSP+ mechanism and its conditionalities;
- Excellent English and Urdu language skills (spoken and written).
- Updated GSP+ Booklet for a policy and trade audience in Pakistan.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Pakistan: Research Consultant for Economic and Trade Data” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 26 July 2019, 23:59. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you are shortlisted, DRI interviews will take place over Skype.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel+49 30 27877300
Fax+49 30 27877300-10