Form of Employment: Short-term consultancy
Reporting lines: Country Representative Myanmar
Contract Period: 25 August 2018 – 31 September 2018
Estimated days: 15 days
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a short-term Governance and Training Expert to support activities under an EU-funded project, STEP Democracy. The STEP Democracy project works with the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties and civil society organizations (CSOs), supporting Myanmar’s democratic transition with tailor-made programming in line with the unique needs of each electoral stakeholder, supporting multi-stakeholder dialogue on electoral reforms, human rights and democratic governance.
Duties and responsibilities
The Governance and Training Expert will work with DRI to finetune the Myanmar Democracy Fellowship, a hands-on, four module training program designed to support democratic culture in Myanmar.
The Governance and Training Expert will be expected to:
- Review the existing curriculum for the Myanmar Democracy Fellowship (MDF) and suggest amendments, where applicable
- Review the draft training outline for the first module of the MDF and suggest amendments, where applicable
- Review the feedback from previous MDF fellows and incorporate any relevant changes into the new training outline
- Design training sessions for Module 1 on “Building Blocks for a Democracy: peace process and constitutional amendments,” including preparation of all materials and handouts
Location and/or Travel Plan:
The assignment is home-based.
- University degree in social science, political science, international relations, law, or other relevant field;
- 4-6 years of relevant professional experience in international development and/or demonstrated experience working with capacity-building for civil society groups;
- Experience working with civil society organisations in Myanmar is strongly preferred;
- Understanding of Myanmar’s legal framework will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated experience training and facilitating workshops or roundtables with diverse audiences;
- Proficiency in oral and written English.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications is 27 August 2018. Shortlisted candidates may be contacted before the deadline.
Candidates should submit a CV and a sample of previous work (a previously completed training outline) to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Governance and Training Expert’ in the subject line.