Position Title: Graphic Designer (f/m) – Lebanon
Form of Employment: Short-term assignment / desk-work
Starting Date: June 2017
Duration: Until 14 October 2017
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In October 2016, DRI launched an ambitious project on decentralisation and local governance in Lebanon, with the support of the German Foreign Office. The project includes, inter alia, an in-depth survey on public service provision at the level of 36 Lebanese municipal federations, supported by the Lebanese Ministry of Interior and Municipalities. Our scope covers three sectors, namely solid waste management, the municipal police (local security), and transparency/outreach toward citizens. In parallel, DRI is providing technical support to the Committee that is discussing the Administrative Decentralisation Bill in the Lebanese Parliament. Based on the preliminary results of the survey, consultation sessions will be held with decision makers, experts, media and civil society representatives.
DRI launched its country-wide communications strategy in April 2017. Since then, the team has been active on digital media platforms and is working to promote the project using offline media tools as well. DRI is therefore looking to recruit a freelance graphic designer who can assist in formulating a brand and a visual identity using professional layout and design of all material related to DRI’s Lebanon project entitled “El Edara Bima7alla,” meaning the administration is in its place, doing the correct job. Your responsibilities will entail the following:
Your duties and responsibilities:
The graphic designer will work with DRI Lebanon team under the day-to-day supervision of the Research and Communications Officer with the overall guidance by DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon. The graphic designer will perform the following tasks to support process of branding and construction of messages via visual platforms.
- General consultancy on orientation of media strategy in line with advocacy messages;
- Make recommendations for design, visualisation and graphic identity of project and consortium members;
- Assist in creating visual content for reports and other communication materials for printing and electronic distribution (factsheets, briefing papers…);
- Deliver creative and innovative ideas for print, electronic, web-based and animated presentations;
- Ensure a professional visual image of multimedia content by introducing fixed styles, ensuring consistency in fonts, formatting, icons, images and designs, layout techniques (PowerPoints, flyers, invitation cards for consultation sessions);
- Provide regular updates and drafts to the Research and Communications Officer;
- Visual mapping of visits to municipal federations;
- Create info graphs of survey results;
- Design the graphical features of both the preliminary report of the survey and the final briefing paper.
Qualifications we require:
- 3-5 years of experience as a graphic designer preferably with NGOs and/or civil society groups;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic;
- Knowledge of basic composition, page layout, art and office/web software packages such as MS Word, Excel, Adobe PageMaker, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work with minimum supervision
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Information Technology, Computer Science or any computer related field.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application including
- A cover letter highlighting relevant experience in similar assignments and why you are fit for the position
- Samples of previous work illustrating your experience
- Your CV, showing evidence of relevant experience in similar assignments
in one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Graphic Designer (f/m) – Lebanon” in the subject line and refer to the source in which you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 11 June 2017. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview within one week after expiration of the deadline.