Position Title: Graphic Designer
Position Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Contract Period: 17 months (December 2016 – April 2018)
Form of employment: part-time, desk work
Start Date: as soon as possible
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms.
DRI is seeking a Graphic Designer to produce info graphics, banners, covers, headers, text-based pictures and other digital graphics to be used in publications and in the social media. The aim of the info graphics is to inform the general public and expert community about the on-going political reforms, explain the reforms in an accessible way.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Graphic Designer will work under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and legal experts of the project to produce info graphics on the analytical content provided by the project team. The Graphic Designer will also work in close coordination with the Social Media Expert in DRI HQ to develop graphics for the social media campaign. S/he will be fulfilling the following tasks:
- Develop original info graphics that are clear, appealing and viewer-friendly for DRI’s publications and social media campaign on Ukraine’s constitutional reform process and other political reforms;
- Design cover pages and other elements for DRI publications when required;
- Develop the design for the monitoring chart of the legislative initiatives;
- Develop digital graphics such as banners, covers, headers, text-based pictures as suitable for social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) or publications if required;
- Submit preliminary designs for DRI’s review;
- Prepare revised designs after incorporating DRI’s feedback;
- Where needed, research additional materials to strengthen the information in the info graphics.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, media production, communication or equivalent; degree abroad is desirable;
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in designing info graphics for publications, social media and/or advocacy campaigns;
- Proven graphic designing abilities for publications and social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter etc., in the area of the political reforms;
- Proven record of work experience with the Ukrainian and international think tanks, NGOs;
- Ability to understand the political reform process;
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workload and tight deadlines;
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian, both spoken and written.
Qualified women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Graphics in different formats such as PDF, JPEG, PNGs, GIF and original files of all info graphics developed.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications (cover letter, CV and samples of info graphics and other design works relevant to the job) in one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org including ‘Graphic Designer – Ukraine’ in the subject line and supporting documents in the following format: SURNAME_FIRSTNAME_GRAPHIC DESIGNER.
Closing date for applications: 25 December 2016 (midnight CET).
Due to the number of applications DRI typically receives only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants may be contacted before the deadline.