Form of Employment: Full-time
Position Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Reporting lines: Country Representative Myanmar,
with the technical Guidance of the Head of Project Finances, Berlin, Germany
Contract Period: 1 August 2018 – 31 August 2020 – contingent of award of grant
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI is currently recruiting a full-time Head of Administration and Finance for its country office in Myanmar, where DRIs main project is the EU-funded STEP Democracy project.
The STEP Democracy project works with the Union Election Commission (UEC), political parties and civil society organizations (CSOs), through an innovative approach to supporting Myanmar’s democratic transition with tailor-made programming in line with the unique needs of each electoral stakeholder, supporting multi-stakeholder dialogue on electoral reforms, human rights and democratic governance.
STEP Democracy aims to foster a deeper awareness of, and advocacy for, reform to the legal framework for elections and democratic governance in Myanmar. It is implemented by a consortium of 8 local and international partners.
For the second phase of STEP Democracy, which will commence in August 2018 for a period of 40 months, DRI is looking to incorporate a Head of Finance and Administration to lead its finance and administration team in the Yangon Office. The Head of Finance and Administration will support the Country Representative in all aspects of budget and office management and lead financial reporting to the donor.
Your duties and responsibilities
Head of Administration and Finance Myanmar will lead on all administrative and financial aspects pertaining to DRI´s programme in Myanmar, including human resources and office management, financial management and donor communication on project budgets and financial reports.
More specifically, the Head of Administration and Finance Myanmar will:
- Manage the finance and administration team in DRI Myanmar Office, including establishing of efficient division of labour and training of local staff;
- Manage the DRI Myanmar office, including rentals/landlord relations, fixtures and maintenance, IT issues, utilities/supplies, and maintaining/updating the inventory of assets.
- Ensure that the DRI Myanmar office meets all donor requirements, Myanmar legal requirements, German bookkeeping requirements as well as DRI internal regulations;
- Draft and oversee implementation of all administrative policies, procedures and templates, including human resource policy, travel policy, vehicle usage policy, leave tracking templates, subgrant guidelines, etc.
- Donor reporting
- Ensure the accurate and timely submission of donor financial reports and lead on donor communication on budgets and budget amendments;
- Be responsible for the monthly budget forecast and budget monitoring and assist Programme Coordinators and Programme Officers to create activity budgets;
- Oversee procurement processes and ensures accurate procurement documentatation.
- Provide training and financial guidance to subgrantees and project partner and oversee controlling of partner financial reports and payment requests.
- Human Resources
- Lead local staff recruitment processes and documentation, mantain a human resources and payroll system, including staff contracts and timesheets, performance evaluation;
- Ensure compliance with relevant local government tax laws and tax reporting;
- Manage the contracting and deployment of expat staff, international experts and visitors, including visa and travel arrangements.
- Audit and Archiving
- Maintain an electronic and physical filing system for administrative and financial records, including activity reports, participant lists, subgrant contracts, procurements and tenders;
- Lead on donor and external audit mission and ensure preparation thereof: preparing documentation for external audits and expenditure verification, including evidence of payments, procurement and activities as well as compiling the audit samples as required;
- Plans and coordinates project closure, including asset management/ asset donation and archive transfer to HQ, if applicable;
- Perform any other related duties, as assigned.
Qualifications we require:
- At least a Bachelor´s degree in accounting, business management, development economics or relevant fields;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as manager and/or finance manager with international non–profit organisations. EU funded grants financial and administrative management experience highly preferred and experience with PAGODA Delegation Agreeements will be considered an asset;
- Excellent financial and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting on program financial performance;
- Ability to manage a finance and administration team and demonstrate leadership, ability to understand the needs of programme unit and propose solutions to daily challenges;
- Experience in human resource management, including review of local labour laws and contracting templates;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural team and in a challenging environment requiring flexibility, patience and creativity;
- The candidate must be detail-oriented, able to work independently and have a pro-active and problem-solving attitude;
- Fluency in English required – ability to communicate in Burmese or any other local language is an asset;
- Excellent IT-skills, including excellent knowledge of Excel and familiarity with accounting systems.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Head of Administration and Finance Myanmar” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. This position is subject to funding.
Closing date for applications: 08 July 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.