Position Title: Human Rights Communications Expert (Pakistan)
Starting Date: March 2020 onwards
Duration: 10 days (approximately)
Location: Home-based/remote; should be available for visits to Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a nonpartisan, independent, not-for-profit international organization registered in Berlin, Germany, which promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
With support from the German Federal Foreign Office (GMFA), DRI Pakistan is currently implementing a project entitled “Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan”. The objective of the project is to strengthen local constituencies, both on the governmental and non-governmental side, to consolidate the democratic transition process in Pakistan, specifically with a view to human rights protection and effective, decentralised governance.
DRI is seeking the services of a Human Rights Communications Expert/Consultant to facilitate the Punjab Human Rights and Minorities Affairs Department and KP Law, Parliamentary Affairs and Human Rights Department in development of short briefs on their work related to development and implementation of provincial human rights policies/action plans. Short briefs may also serve as communication tool for departments to showcase their successful interventions and/or technical issues on the ways to improve human rights protection at sub-national levels in KP and Punjab.
Duties and responsibilities:
The external expert will work under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and in close coordination with DRI’s Senior Human Rights and Advocacy Expert as per the following tasks:
- Work with provincial human rights bodies of KP and Punjab, in collaboration with DRI team, for the development of short briefs on institutional interventions for human rights protection at grassroots levels;
- Provide technical inputs to the officials of relevant government department officials in improving research and development of quality of written outputs;
- Ensure that produced documents fulfill communication need as well as propose a way forward to strengthen sub-national human rights protection systems, in compliance with international standards and best practices;
- Provide any additional support, if necessary.
- University degree in social sciences/law/human rights/international law or equivalent;
- Proven experience of producing human rights knowledge/communication products. Should be willing to share a sample of the products s/he has developed ideally with government or with known communication/media companies or reputable donors, UN systems/INGOs.
- Sound understanding of international as well as Pakistan’s domestic human rights systems and frameworks;
- Ability to distinguish between mandates and functions of different actors of National Human Rights System (NHRS)
- Excellent research and communication skills, proficient in English and Urdu languages.
Duration and Location:
The Human Rights Communications Expert/Consultant will primarily work at its own however should be available for periodic visits/meetings with the officials of human rights bodies in KP and Punjab as well as with DRI team in Islamabad.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Human Rights Institutionalisation Expert/Consultant” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 15 February 2020.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10