Form of Employment: Short-term Consultant (national position)
Starting date: September 2019
Duration: up to 15 working days
Location: Desk work with possibility to travel to Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. With support from the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI Pakistan is currently implementing a project entitled “Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan”. The overall objective of the project is to strengthen local constituencies, both on the governmental and non-governmental side, to consolidate the democratic transition process in Pakistan, specifically with a view to human rights protection and effective, decentralised governance.
According to the EU’s 2018 GSP+ review report, Pakistan’s overall human rights situation remains largely precarious and even worsened in some cases. A lack of political will, institutional weaknesses, and political oversight are key challenges on the way to improving human rights protection in Pakistan. Yet, some developments are significant, including the establishment of Treaty Implementation Cells (TICs), the founding of national and sub-national human rights institutions, and the formulation of the National Action Plan for Human Rights (NAP-HR). The government has also established a National Task Force (including its provincial chapters) to pursue the implementation of the NAP-HR.
DRI, under its ‘Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan’ project has devised a strategy to support human rights committees of the provincial assemblies of Punjab and KP, enabling them to play an active role in promotion and protection of human rights. DRI seeks services of Pakistan-based ‘Human Rights Expert (Parliamentary Committees Support)’ to facilitate DRI’s Pakistan team in carrying out strategic need assessment and development of briefing paper on the role of parliamentary Committees for improved human rights policy design and delivery in Pakistan.
Your duties and responsibilities: DRI requires services of an experienced human rights professional to deliver the following:
- Carry out strategic needs assessment of provincial assemblies’ committees on human rights, with a view to assessing procedures, systems and strategies of the committees in line with international standards and best practices.
- Design and produce a briefing paper, based on desk research and strategic needs assessment, on the role of provincial assemblies’ human rights committees in ensuring high degree of human rights protection at provincial levels;
Qualifications we require
- A university degree in Human Rights/ International Law/ Political Science or equivalent;
- Excellent understanding of Pakistan’s democratic institutions, specifically parliamentary structures, in purview of the post 18th constitutional amendment;
- Excellent understanding of international human rights frameworks and mechanisms in comparison with Pakistan’s relevant policies, laws and systems;
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills;
- Demonstrated experience in engaging/working with democratic institutions;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Urdu.
Interested candidates are expected to ensure their availability for assigned tasks, as and when required.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Pakistan: Human Rights Expert – Parliamentary Committees Support” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10