Form of Employment: Short-term Consultant (national position)
Starting date: As soon as possible / August 2019
Duration: up to 20 working days
Location: Desk work with possibility of travel to Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar.
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. With support from the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI Pakistan is currently implementing a project entitled “Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan”. The overall objective of the project is to strengthen local constituencies, both on the governmental and non-governmental side, to consolidate the democratic transition process in Pakistan, specifically with a view to human rights protection and effective, decentralised governance.
According to the EU’s 2018 GSP+ review report, Pakistan’s overall human rights situation remains largely precarious and even worsened in some cases. A lack of political will and institutional weaknesses are key challenges on the way to improving human rights protection in Pakistan. Yet, some developments are significant, including the establishment of Treaty Implementation Cells (TICs), the founding of national and sub-national human rights institutions, and the formulation of the National Action Plan for Human Rights (NAP-HR). The government has also established a National Task Force (including its provincial chapters) to pursue the implementation of the NAP-HR.
DRI, under its ‘Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan’ project, has devised a strategy to support Pakistan’s human rights institutions, thereby enabling them to play an active role in the promotion and protection of human rights. DRI now seeks the services of a Pakistan-based ‘Human Rights Institutional Support Expert’ to facilitate DRI’s Pakistan team in providing technical support to improve the policy delivery of Pakistan’s provincial human rights bodies.
Your duties and responsibilities:
DRI requires expert services on flexible terms to address strategic needs of sub-national human rights structures. Key tasks and deliverables will be defined based on the institutions’ strategic needs assessment, particularly in the following key areas:
- Provide technical inputs, in line with international standards and best practices, to bring improvement to systems and strategies of provincial human rights institutions;
- Design and facilitate/organise policy engagement sessions/meetings/workshops to improve capacities and efficiency in services delivery of provincial human rights bodies;
- Design and produce briefing papers on the role of human rights institutions to ensure a high degree of human rights protection, in compliance with international standards and best practices.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in Human Rights/ International Law/ Political Science or equivalent;
- Excellent understanding of international human rights frameworks and mechanisms in comparison with Pakistan’s relevant policies, laws and systems;
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills;
- Demonstrated experience in engaging/working with public institutions.
Interested candidates are expected to ensure their availability for assigned tasks, as and when required.
DRI values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to [email protected]. Please include “Pakistan: Human Rights Expert” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 20 August 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300 – Fax +49 30 27877300-10