Position Title: Human Rights Institutionalisation Expert (Pakistan)
Starting Date: September 2020 onwards
Duration: 10 days (approximately)
Location: Home-based/remote; should be available for visits to Islamabad, Lahore and Peshawar.
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a nonpartisan, independent, not-for-profit international organisation registered in Berlin, Germany, which promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions worldwide.
With support from the German Federal Foreign Office (GMFA), DRI Pakistan is currently implementing a project entitled “Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan”. The objective of the project is to strengthen local constituencies, both on the governmental and non-governmental side, to consolidate the democratic transition process in Pakistan, specifically with a view to human rights protection and effective, decentralised governance.
DRI is seeking the services of a Human Rights Institutionalisation Expert/Consultant to facilitate the Punjab Human Rights and Minorities Affairs Department and KP Law, Parliamentary Affairs and Human Rights Department in development of strategies to strengthen human rights structures at district levels.
Duties and responsibilities:
The expert will work under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative and in close coordination with DRI’s Senior Human Rights and Advocacy Expert as per the following tasks:
- Carry out a review of governments’ established human rights structures at the district level, with a view to assessing district committees structures and functions in line with international standards/best practices;
- Work with provincial human rights bodies of KP and Punjab, in collaboration with the DRI team, for the development of strategies to strengthen district human rights committees;
- Ensure that developed strategies fulfil the departments’ needs as well as propose the way forward to ensure effective monitoring and protection of human rights at local levels;
- Provide any additional support, if necessary.
- University degree in human rights/law/international law/social science or equivalent;
- Proven experience of working with national/provincial human rights bodies particularly in the areas of action/strategic planning;
- Sound understanding of international as well as Pakistan’s domestic human rights systems and frameworks;
- Ability to distinguish between mandates and functions of different actors of National Human Rights System (NHRS)
- Excellent research and writing skills, proficient in English and Urdu languages.
Duration and Location:
The Human Rights Institutionalisation Expert/Consultant will primarily work at its own however should be available for periodic visits/meetings with the officials of human rights bodies in KP and Punjab as well as with DRI team in Islamabad.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Human Rights Institutionalisation Expert/Consultant” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 07 September 2020.