Starting Date: 15th September 2018
Contract Period: 15th September 2018 – 15th March 2019
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI has been present in Sri Lanka since May 2016.
DRI is implementing the three-year project “Supporting Human and Labour Rights through GSP+” (the Project) funded by the European Union (Grant Giver) to support civil society and social partners to become effective advocates and drivers of change ensuring that the EU Generalized Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+) beneficiary countries meet their commitments to effectively implement core international conventions. The specific objectives are supporting an empowering the civil society/ social partners in monitoring the relevant conventions under the GSP+ process and supporting the implementation and reforms necessary for scheme beneficiary countries to meet their commitments under the 15 human and labour rights conventions of GSP+.
Objectives and Role:
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the intern will support the Sri Lanka country office in the areas of communications, project management/administration, organisation of activities and engagement in monitoring of UN conventions related to GSP+ falling under the Project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist DRI’s local staff and experts in DRI’s research and assessment activities;
• Support DRI’s local staff in routine matters in relation to administration and financial activities of the project;
• Assist DRI’s local staff in the implementation of activities as well as workshops and events in district level;
• Contribute to the procurement of project items, office supplies, consumables and other maintenance activities as the need arises to ensure the delivery of project activities;
• Assist in maintaining project files, databases and other resources;
• Provide support to project Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning tasks.
Duration and Location:
The intern shall be based in DRI country office in Battaramulla with the ability to travel to all districts. The duration of the assignment is maximum seven months and shall commence on 15th of September 2018 and end on 15th March 2019 during which the intern is expected to work for at least 24 hours a week. A monthly allowance will be paid.
• Enrolled in politics, international relations, law or management, business and economics bachelor’s degree programme;
• Interested in activism, human rights conventions, human rights monitoring and reporting mechanisms;
• Proficiency in key computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel;
• Fluency in English and Sinhala/Tamil;
• Knowledge of photo and graphic editing software, project cycle management, communications, and research are an asset.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Moreover, DRI offers the internship with flexible working hours. Successful intern will be given an opportunity to go through a learning process with training opportunities in various aspects of a project implementation.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to email@example.com. Please include “Sri Lanka Intern” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 7th September 2018, 23:59.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you are shortlisted, DRI interviews will take place over Skype.