Position Title: International and Local Experts on Libya’s Political Transition
Form of Employment: Short-term Consultancy
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Up to 7 working days
Location: Deskwork; potentially one mission to Tunis, Tunisia
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In Libya, DRI has been supporting the constitution-drafting process and the work of Libyan civil society organisations on topics related to the constitution, human rights and local governance. Under this project, DRI will be working with its local partners and networks to create a conducive environment for the next steps of the political transition. To do so, DRI, in close cooperation with its local partners, will raise awareness among citizens (online and offline) on the relevance of democratic milestones of the transition and facilitate exchange between citizens and relevant political and institutional actors (such as representatives of the National Election Commission, the Constitution Drafting Assembly and others).
In the framework of the above project and in order to inform international and Libyan audiences on the transitional process and how to best build on it, DRI is currently recruiting two international and two local experts to draft a publication on Libya’s political transition from 2011 onwards. In collaboration with DRI Libya’s Policy Officer, and under supervision of the Director of Programmes, three experts will draft a publication summarizing: 1) the political transition from 2011 to 2014, 2) the constitution drafting process and 3) the transition from 2014 onwards, outlining the main issues, actors, events and lessons learned and potential ways forward. One expert will be in charge of editing the entire document and developing a set of recommendations for the way forward. The publication will paint a comprehensive and clear picture of the political transition so far and offer an outlook on how the transition to a democratic Libyan state could be achieved. This paper will target both an international and Libyan expert audience and will be drafted in English and later on translated to Arabic.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Engage with three other experts and discuss the outline of the paper in November 2018
- (As an author) provide an outline of the sections you will write and amend as per comments from DRI and the editor
- (As the editor) share particular questions and a meaningful structure to be used by each of the three authors
- (As an author) provide a first draft of your respective section which will include corresponding recommendations, by 24 December;
- (As the editor) Compile the different contributions, make specific requests for clarification to the authors and produce a coherent analytical executive summary and set of recommendations by end of December 2018.Make amendments as necessary based on the feedback of DRI.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in political science, law, development or other relevant fields;
- 5 years of work experience researching and writing specifically about topics related to the political transition Libya;
- Sound knowledge of international democracy standards;
- Proven track-record of relevant publications on Libya’s political transition (to be sent along with the application);
- Fluency in written and spoken English, knowledge of Arabic is a requirement.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV and at least two relevant publications) to [email protected]. Please include “International and local experts on Libya’s transitional process” in the subject line, and indicate whether you are applying as an author or editor, and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Extended deadline for applications: 23 November 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10