Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI works in partnership with civil society organisations (CSOs) in Tunisia since the launching of its programme in Tunisia in February 2011. Part of DRI’s programme is to support CSOs active in the democratic transition, focusing on topics related to elections (election observation and advocacy for legal reforms) and providing expertise regarding fundamental elements of a democratic system of government.
It the framework of the project “Support to Constitution Implementation in Tunisia – Phase II” funded by the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs, DRI is working on providing support to, inter alia, CSOs, which will carry out domestic election observation of the upcoming local elections in Tunisia foreseen to take place in March 2018.
Based on DRI’s previous experience of working with CSO electoral observers as well as the needs identified by CSO partners, DRI will organise a workshop on the preparation and use of election campaign observation forms.
II-Objective of the Assignment
DRI is looking for an international expert to conduct a two-day workshop on the observation of electoral campaigns. The main objectives of the workshop will be to:
- present regional and international best practices in electoral campaign observation;
- consolidate best practices and lessons learned drawn from electoral campaign observation methodologies used previously by Tunisian CSOs;
- develop an electoral campaign observation form, based on Tunisian and international best practices and adapted to the Tunisian context.
Target group: DRI’s partner CSOs active in election observation and advocacy on the electoral legal framework.
The two-day workshop will be addressed to the CSO teams responsible for preparing the election observation methodology and reports. Representatives of app. ten CSOs will be invited to participate in the training.
Number of participants: 27 participants.
III-Duties and deliverables
With support of the DRI team based in Tunis, the expert will design and deliver a two-day workshop addressed to the CSOs working on elections observation. His technical support will include the following services:
- Develop the agenda of the workshop in coordination with DRI (in Arabic): 7 days before the training;
- Prepare the workshop materials: power point presentations (in Arabic), study cases, hand-outs etc. and any other material: 3 days before the training;
- Conduct the workshop sessions on election campaign observation focusing on the electoral legal framework, comparative experiences, regional and international best practices as well as lessons learned from the 2011 and 2014 Tunisian elections;
- Provide expertise on the development of election campaign observation forms;
- Present at the end of the training a model observation report form for the electoral campaign, validated by the participants;
- Prepare a mission report within 7 days following the training.
IV-Duration and location of the assignment
The workshop will be held in Hammamet (Tunisia) on 18 and 19 November 2017. The consultant will engage in the preparation and running of the workshop on the following bases:
- Preparations and reporting – 3 days of home-based work;
- Workshop – 2 days of mission work in Tunisia.
- Advanced university degree;
- At least 6 years of experience in working in the area of national/international election observation;
- Proven familiarity with the election context in Tunisia;
- Proven experience in conducting trainings and/or providing technical support to civil society on election observation;
- Familiarity with the reference methodologies and instruments for citizen election observation and ability to adapt them to different election contexts;
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic;
- Previous collaboration with Tunisian civil society is a strong advantage.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer.
Interested applicants should send their applications (CV and cover letter) to email@example.com including “International Election Observation Expert” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 2 November 2017.
The position may be filled before the end of the deadline, so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.