Position Title: International Project Advisor
Position Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Contract Period: 7 months (June – December 2017)
Form of employment: part-time
Start Date: June 2017
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI has been present in Ukraine since September 2014. Together with the Institute of International Relations of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, DRI has worked with major Ukrainian civic initiatives to provide systematic monitoring and reporting on the key political reforms. We are currently looking for an experienced and proactive International Project Advisor to support DRI Kyiv Office in implementation of DRI’s programme in Ukraine. The aims of the programme are (1) to provide Ukrainian and international public with regular firsthand reports and analyses of ongoing political reforms, feeding international standards and comparative practice into the reform discussions, and (2) to build capacities of regional and local civil society groups, youth organisations and students for monitoring, analysis and advocacy for reforms.
Duties and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Ukraine, the International Project Advisor will support the implementation of DRI’s strategy in Ukraine, in particular:
- Regularly advise on implementation of DRI’s programme in Ukraine, considering the developments in the country, international and comparative perspective
- Prepare and/or contribute to analytical reports (internal and public) on political and reform processes in the country, as required
- Design and implement an attractive concept for DRI trainings/workshops for the students of journalism and international relations as well as for civil activists and think tanks on analysing policy issues of public concern, presenting findings/recommendations to policy makers, analysists, or public in general
- Contribute to representational and networking activities designed to enhance DRI Ukraine’s standing and impact
- Assist with the drafting, editing, review and translation of DRI materials, as required
- Participate in DRI Kyiv Office meetings and planning sessions, as required
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in law, political science, international relations or related field
- At least ten years of relevant professional experience, with demonstrated experience in advising on democracy support projects in transitional countries
- Excellent analytical expertise, good stakeholder management skills and ability to inspire people
- Excellent communication, networking and reporting skills
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Ukraine’s political context, including key stakeholders in parliament, government and civil society and media landscape
- Fluent in English, Ukrainian and Russian (spoken and written)
- Willingness to travel within Ukraine and internationally
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications (cover letter, CV and three contacts for references) in one pdf file to email@example.com including ‘International Project Advisor’ in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 31 May 2017 (midnight CET).
Due to the number of applications DRI typically receives only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.