Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is implementing an EU-funded project aimed at reinforcing the role of civil society in domestic observation and promoting awareness about international human rights and democracy standards.
Within the context of this project, DRI and Charity Oriented Myanmar (COM) are implementing the Myanmar Democracy Fellowship (MDF), an interactive training programme with a focus on democracy standards and human rights. Young leaders from civil society, political parties, state institutions and media will meet for 3 separate modules to learn and discuss about comparative cases, legal standards, and share their views and hopes for the future of Myanmar.
DRI is looking for a professional interpreter to provide simultaneous translation – English to Myanmar, and Myanmar to English – throughout the three modules of the Myanmar Democracy Fellowship. The position is contingent on donor funding.
- Provide oral simultaneous translation – English to Myanmar, and Myanmar to English – throughout the three modules of the Myanmar Democracy Fellowship
- Provide written translation – English to Myanmar – of PowerPoint presentations and other materials as requested prior to and during each of the three modules
The maximum number of working days to be performed throughout the period of this assignment is 20 days:
- 15 days are to be performed during the three modules
- 5 days are to be performed prior to the 3 modules (translation of handouts and presentations, etc.)
The period for this assignment is approximately from 20/06/2018 to 28/02/2019, as follows:
- Module 1 from 30/06/2018 to 03/07/2018 in Yangon
- Module 2 from 03/10/2018 to 07/10/2018 in Naypyitaw
- Module 3 from 26/01/2019 to 31/01/2019 in a State capital city (to be confirmed)
- University degree in English language
- Minimum of five years experience in providing professional simultaneous translation for high-level multi-stakeholder events on issues related to democratic governance, human rights, constitution-building, elections and peace processes
- Excellent knowledge of technical vocabulary in English and Burmese related to human rights, elections and constitutional law
- Excellent computer proficiency, including typing skills
- The interpreter should be available for the entire duration of the MDF
- The interpreter should be willing to travel to Yangon, Naypyitaw, and a state capital city
If you would like to apply for this position, please send:
- Your CV in English
- A quote with your proposed fee for the 20 working days
Please send your CV and quote to firstname.lastname@example.org with “MDF Interpreter” in the subject line.
Application deadline: 27 June 2018