Form of Employment: Full-time
Starting Date: February 2019
Duration: Until 31 December 2022
Location: Berlin, DRI HQ
Deadline: 24 January 2019
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. Democracy Reporting International promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
DRI will start a longer-term project aimed at facilitating a fact-based debate around topical questions on rule of law across Europe, in particular by providing user-friendly, up-to-date analyses. This will be a part of a project cooperation with Forum Transregionale Studien (FTS), funded by Stiftung Mercator. DRI is therefore currently recruiting a full-time Legal Officer for its head office in Berlin.
Your Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of a/the Regional Manager, you will monitor and analyse rule of law related developments in EU member states and the EU’s responses and produce publications in different formats targeting primarily print/online European media. The material will be designed to be accessible for a wider interested audience. More specifically, you will:
- Monitor legal and political developments related to the rule of law in EU member states, such as topical debates, legal reforms, and possibly court cases or administrative proceedings;
- Suggest thematic areas for deeper research and reporting, and prepare a (semi-annual/annual) publication plan in cooperation with the Communications Coordinator and in accordance with project mission developed jointly by the project partners;
- Draft, review, finalise, and conceptualise diverse project outputs: analytical pieces, explainers, fact sheets, info-graphics, short videos, etc.;
- Work closely with the project team and when applicable, coordinate with the Communications Coordinator and a designer on the communication strategy and project outputs and events.;
- May participate in seminars and workshops of the project partners and actively engage in the abovementioned project
- Give interviews to journalists, present at meetings
- Willingness to travel, in exceptional cases also on weekends
Your Education & Experience:
- University degree in law, focus on constitutional law/public law;
- At least 2 years of legal practice and/or research experience;
- Previous work with media is an asset;
- Ability to write clearly, accurately and quickly for non-expert audiences;
- Ability to work independently and under tight deadlines;
- Strong organisational and communication skills (both verbal and written) and attention to detail;
- Fluency in English; fluency in other EU languages is an asset;
- Proficient IT skills.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV, examples of your publications/legal writing) to email@example.com. Please include “Legal Officer” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 24 January 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10