Position Title: Local Governance Expert
Form of employment: Short term consultancy
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: 20 days between 9 September 2019 – 9 October 2019
Location: Home-based desk work with some field travel within Pakistan
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide. DRI helps support local ways of promoting the universal right of citizens to participate in the political life of their country, as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR).
With support from the German Federal Foreign Office, DRI Pakistan is currently implementing a project entitled “Consolidating Democratic Stability in Pakistan”. The overall objective of the project is to strengthen local constituencies, both on the governmental and non-governmental side, to consolidate the democratic transition process in Pakistan, specifically with a view to human rights protection and effective, decentralised governance.
As part of this project DRI requires the services of a Consultant on Local Governance to develop a briefing paper which will:
- Analyse the Local government law in KP and its amendments from a legal and social inclusion perspective noting changes in the existing law and how that will impact service delivery and human rights protection of communities at the local level.
- Examine the operational and policy challenges of setting up a local government system in the newly merged districts of former FATA, providing analysis and suggesting measures to improve the state-citizen relationship, service delivery and elected members’ role and oversight in public administration, human rights protection and the voice of women, minorities and weaker sections of society.
- Assess the role and importance of local government in the context of the post conflict scenario in KP, discussing how to mitigate conflict, improve harmony and confidence of citizens in state institutions.
- Provide a set of recommendations to ensure effective service delivery and participatory governance via the local government system. These recommendations should be in line with international best practices but applicable within the local environment.
Your duties and responsibilities:
- Review and identify the amendments made under the 2019 amendment ACT for KP
- Provide recommendations to overcome any challenges/ shortcomings from a legislative and operational standpoint in the context of the local government law and system in KP
- If needed travel to the province for meetings with the local government department in KP for field research
- Draft the briefing paper and ensure it also includes a perspective on how the local government system in KP can address rights of marginalised and vulnerable individuals of KP.
Qualifications we require:
- Master’s degree in the field of Social/Political Sciences, Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies, Law or other Governance/Decentralisation related discipline or the equivalent of 8 to 10 years of experience in the field of Local Governance / Decentralization for a Bachelor’s degree holder;
- 5 years or more of professional experience in supporting democracy, elections, and human rights in the Pakistani context; at least 3 years of previous work experience on local governance;
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders such as policymakers, political parties, parliamentarians, government representatives and civil society organisations is required;
- Sound understanding of and ability to analyse issues relating to local government, elections (including local elections), democratic governance and devolution in Pakistan;
- Proven knowledge of and ability to apply international standards and best practices in elections, democratic governance, and devolution processes;
- Strong writing and research skills;
- English, business fluent oral and written;
- Urdu, fluency oral and written; knowledge of Pashto and other local languages spoken in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa will be a plus.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2019/1 Pakistan: Local Governance Expert” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 4 September 2019, 23:59. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged. Women and people from diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you are shortlisted, DRI interviews will take place over Skype.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel+49 30 27877300
Fax+49 30 27877300-10