Position Title: Local Governance Research Coordinator (Lebanon)
Form of Employment: Full-time, short-term assignment
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: 5 months (renewable, subject to funding)
Location: Beirut and Akkar, Lebanon
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organisation registered in Berlin. DRI promotes political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
In the framework of its Lebanon projects “Setting an Agenda for Decentralisation in Lebanon – Phase II”, Municipal Know-How for Host Communities in the Middle East, and “Resilience in Local Governance” (RESLOG), DRI is working with Lebanese civil society organisations and public officials to promote local governance in line with good governance principles.
In 2018, the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SKL/SALAR) launched the “Resilience in Local Governance” (RESLOG) project for Lebanon and Turkey to strengthen resilience, human security and freedom from violence, with a focus on livelihood opportunities, increased access to public services and reduced gender-based violence.
In Lebanon, RESLOG will be implemented in the Akkar governorate, a vulnerable area in the north of the country that hosts significant numbers of Syrians. Based on a whole systems approach to local governance and resilience development, RESLOG addresses issues such as capacity gaps, financial circumstances, structures, planning processes, or decision-making procedures of organisations themselves, as well as at looking at interactions between vertical and horizontal actors within the system, and the enabling environment.
Furthermore, DRI is active in coordinating project partnerships between Lebanese and German municipalities, while concurrently leading an awareness-raising and advocacy campaign for better local governance drawing on a targeted, fact-based research on municipal service delivery in the following three sectors: solid waste management; public safety (role of the municipal police); government transparency and citizen participation.
DRI Lebanon is currently recruiting a full-time Local Governance Research Coordinator, who has expertise on decentralisation and is familiar with the work of municipalities and municipal unions in Lebanon. In collaboration with, and under supervision of the DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon, the research coordinator will be responsible for the design and implementation of a range of assessment and planning tools for local governance.
Your duties and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of DRI’s Country Representative in Lebanon and with the legal and technical input of DRI, you will be tasked with the following deliverables:
- Coordinate and review the development of institutional capacity assessment tools and institutional development action plans for the Governorate (muhafaza) of Akkar and 2 unions of municipalities in Akkar (henceforth referred to as the target groups), and accompany their implementation;
- Coordinate and review the work of legal experts sub-contracted by DRI to develop internal systems and processes (e.g., internal codes and bylaws, SOPs, audit charter, procurement code, personnel code etc.), and research consultants to draft briefing papers on “The Reform of Procurement and Finance regulations for Local Authorities in Lebanon” and “The Opportunities and Challenges for PPP in Local Authorities”;
- Contribute to the development of training material, communications outputs (news stories, press releases etc.) and short reports on local governance;
- Monitor the implementation progress of project activities and ensure gender-mainstreaming is applied throughout the project;
- Lead on the selection process and management of sub-contracted consultants in close collaboration with the Finance and Administration Manager and the Country Representative;
- Attend regular meetings with the project partners and target groups in Akkar;
- Support DRI in the implementation of further activities that are relevant to the work of local authorities and the reform of decentralisation in Lebanon;
- Other relevant duties, as required.
Qualifications we require:
- University degree in law, public administration, social science, public policy/development studies, urban planning, or other relevant fields;
- Good knowledge of the work of Lebanese municipalities and municipal unions in theory and practice;
- At least three (3) years of professional/research experience in the governance field and fieldwork experience in working with state institutions, municipalities and municipal unions in Lebanon;
- Experience in working with think tanks, research centres or academia, and the ability to write in a concise, think-tank style (writing samples/publications will be requested);
- Experience in coordinating applied research projects and/or supervising teams of researchers/experts;
- Experience in developing and coordinating capacity assessment tools and institutional development action plans (samples will be requested) and/or applied research projects;
- IT skills (MS Word and Excel);
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to work with a culturally diverse team;
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English.
DRI values diversity and aims to be an equal opportunities employer. Women are encouraged to apply!
Moreover, DRI offers you flexible working hours, training opportunities and working as part of an international and multicultural team.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application in one PDF document including cover letter, CV and relevant work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Local Governance Research Coordinator (Lebanon)” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications is 19 August 2018. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10