Position Title: Media and Communications Consultant
Form of Employment: Consultancy
Starting Date: October 2019
Duration: Up to 20 working days
Democracy Reporting International (DRI) is a non-partisan, independent, not-for-profit organization registered in Berlin. DRI promotes the political participation of citizens, accountability of state bodies and the development of democratic institutions world-wide.
Under the project “Overcoming shrinking civil society space through effective engagement with parliamentary structures and the media“, DRI Pakistan is planning to engage with national parliamentarians and media to discuss the role of Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) / Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and how they can effectively assist the socio-economic development of Pakistan in its unique national context. The overall objective of the project is to engage various stakeholders in consultations to understand the role of civil society in the Pakistani context and discuss how an appropriate policy framework can make civil society even more effective in having a meaningful impact on country’s development in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The project also focuses on the need of Pakistani media professionals to understand and deepen their knowledge of the civil society sector to make them more effective in contributing to improving the conditions for Pakistani citizens.
Your duties and responsibilities:
DRI requires the services of an experienced Media and Communications Consultant to deliver the following:
- Identification of key media persons/ journalists to engage with for effective reporting on civil society sector issues including SDGs, Human Rights, Public Policy and the role of the civil society sector and its contributions;
- Design and deliver briefings/workshops for various media persons/journalists who regularly report and write on social/civil society issues with a view to enhancing their understanding and capacity to better report on human rights and the civic space;
- Engage in a two-way exchange process to widen participants’ horizon on how sustainable development is delivered and what role government, civil society and international development partners play together in eliminating poverty and improving the living standards of the people of Pakistan;
Qualifications we require:
- Master’s in politics/ communications/ media/ human rights or equivalent from a reputable university;
- Demonstrated experience of working with a reputed media development organization with a track record of capacity building and training;
- Ability to design and deliver workshops on issues like sustainable development, SGDs, human rights, the role of civil society and regulatory issues.
- Good understanding of civil society space issues and media approaches to the topic;
- Demonstrated experience in engaging and working with journalists. You should bring to the table a vast contact base and engagement history with key stakeholders;
- Demonstrated understanding of how laws and policies work in a democracy space and media’s role in supporting the public interest agenda;
- Excellent communication and team skills.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, sample of your writing and CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Pakistan: Media and Communications Consultant” in the subject line and refer to the source you have found this opportunity. Applying for this position by post mail is possible, please find our address details below.
Closing date for applications: 8 Oct 2019. The position may be filled before the end of the deadline so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. If you are one of those shortlisted, we will contact you within one week after expiration of the deadline at the latest.
Organisation responsible for this vacancy:
Democracy Reporting International gGmbH
10969 Berlin, Germany
Tel +49 30 27877300
Fax +49 30 27877300-10